16 | THE SUN AND THE SOUND OF BIRDS

It was a beautiful day in Elio

It was a beautiful day in Elio. Spring had finally arrived in Elio and had freed the people from the long-lasting winter. Birds were singing and the weather was so wonderful, the decision of doing the banquet out in the courtyard was quickly made. The coronation ceremony itself did not take very long, everybody wanted to get out of the castle to celebrate a new beginning.

" ... and with the power invested in me, I crown you Queen, Verena of Elio."

I smiled when the crown was placed on her head. The way her face light up made me believe this had been the best decision for the country. She would rule over this kingdom as a rightminded ruler, and I could not wait to see the changes she would make in Elio.

The whole throne room waited patiently until Verena had gotten up from the steps she was kneeling on and climb them to sit on the throne. When she turned around to face us, our eyes met, and the new Queen smiled even brighter as she sat down on the throne.

Along with the others, I shouted the most freeing sentence with never ending joy: "Long live the Queen!"

The guests got up from their chairs and everybody applauded. I have never seen the court this happy, they were laughing and wiping away tears of joy. The seven dwarfs among them made a lot of noise while continuing shouting the praise of the Queen over and over again. Even Geralt to my right could not resist he had to smile a little bit too, the happiness in the room was thrilling.

Verena raised her voice to thank everybody and invited them to the feast outside. The food was ready, music was already playing, and she would join them shortly. Like I said, the weather was breath-taking, and the people wanted to celebrate, so the room cleared out in a few seconds. I told Geralt and Jaskier to already go outside, I would join them shortly. They nodded and left.

The new Queen was talking to the minister who had crowned her when I approached her. She immediately excused the minister and wanted to get up from the throne, but I stopped her with one hand movement. I made a curtsy and bowed my head. "My Queen."

"Stop it, Davina." Verena said and I could hear her dress make a noise when she stood up. "I should be the one who should bow to the other."

I got up again and looked at my sister. "You are the one who was ready to do what is best for the sake of this kingdom. You killed your own mother to free the citizens from her horrible reign and helped to defeat your step-sister who was terrorizing your people as a beast. And that is why you should rule over Elio and not me."

"It still feels wrong to haven the crown, though." She said quietly and walked down the stairs. "I never imagined to have it, I always saw it on your head after father died."

"You will get used to it, you already have what it takes to be a great ruler. Father would be proud." I said with a smile. "And now that the business is done, you can celebrate with the whole kingdom!"

Verena rolled her eyes. "I wish I could right away, I have to sign papers first! Duty first, fun later! See you in ten minutes, I hope this will not take longer than that!"