9 | FEAR BEGINS TO REVEL

Caspian broke my sleepwalking spell, and I came back to reality, realizing what was going on when he pulled me behind him away from the demon

Caspian broke my sleepwalking spell, and I came back to reality, realizing what was going on when he pulled me behind him away from the demon. Everything happened in slow motion, but it felt like it was over in a second. The huntsman shot an arrow, the demon made a high-pitched noise but did not back away and tried to get closer to me again.

Geralt came from behind and drew his sword through the black cape. The thing screamed, hurt now, and turned around to face its attacker. Caspian grabbed my hand, and we ran away from the demon, towards the horses. Verena already sat on one, shouting at us to hurry. I got on a horse and looked back, Geralt was still fighting with the demon. Jaskier came running towards us, shouting we should wait for him. I saw Geralt hitting the monster once again but instead of fighting back, it just dissolved itself in the air. Not a single piece of it was left and it looked like it had never been there.

The Witcher was just as confused as the rest of us when he walked over to us. "We should get out of the woods," He said, grabbing Roaches reins. "It might come back."

We got out of the forest as quickly as we could. Caspian and Verena rode back to the castle and Jaskier, Geralt and I returned to Rok's tavern to have some lunch. There was not much said at the table, everybody was confused about what happened. After we had finished our food, Jaskier needed some fresh air and decided to look around the market and Geralt went up to their room, leaving me at the table behind. I pushed my empty plate away and grabbed my cup of wine.

When I looked inside, the woman in the reflection did not look like me. She was tired, scared, and exhausted. Does a Queen look like that? Certainly not. And the looks were not the only problem. I was not a ruler and I knew it, so why was I still fighting for a throne I did not want? Getting Mirela off and freeing the people of Elio was dangerous and I was not sure if I was capable of doing it. It could cost me my life as well and what if I did not win? Mirela's magic was strong, she had two daughters that had powers as well and all of the guards in the castle stood behind her – And what did I have? I was only a shewolf who had the support of a Witcher and a bard.

Geralt could not slay them all and I was only able to do so much. I had never seen Jaskier fight, so I had no idea if he even could hold a sword. It was impossible to beat Mirella, the situation was hopeless. Even if we would fight, Geralt and Jaskier could get killed as well and I could never forgive myself if this would happen. It was not worth it.

I chugged the whole cup down and shook my head at the bitterness of the wine. Rok was not the greatest brewer in town but his beer tasted even worse. I got up from the table and walked upstairs to pack my things. The decision was made, I had to leave Elio. Everybody was better off without me and Mirela would stop killing her people as the beast. And I could start over somewhere new, I always wanted to travel the world, see other cities, and meet different people.

When Caspian got me out of the castle, I did not bring anything with me. The huntsman managed to smuggle a few things out and people who were working in the castle's kitchen brought me a few things after they had heard about me living in the tavern, but it was not much. Everything fitted in four bags, which I took downstairs. Just as I put the last one next to the front door, heavy footsteps went down the stairs.