Part 9 MERMAID

"What did you palm me off?" I was holding their love potion between my index finger and my thumb.

"What's wrong with you, my little mermaid? Problems in heaven?" yawned Alex with darts of sarcasm in his velvet baritone. His head was resting on Vera's laps. His sister sat putting her head back and watching a luxurious chandelier sparkling in daylight. The smell in the room was funny. They've been using some dark spells, no doubt, and now they are high of side effects.

"I'm not one of your projects for experiments or human sex toys. If you call me your little mermaid again, you will regret it, Alex." I threatened him, feeling the tickling of aura in my fingers.

He just chuckled and turned his head to Vera's flat tummy. I threw the bottle in her face; Vera grabbed it quickly. I knew she would catch it: even dazed after side effects or whatever they had been doing before my arrival, they possessed inhuman reflexes.

She looked at the contents, penetrating it with her pitch-black eyes, then she uncorked it, sniffed its narrow mouth, and pierced me with those dreadful bottomless eyes of hers:

"It's totally fine."

"No, it's not. It doesn't work!"

"She can be under some witch's protection or be a witch herself, that explains her immunity," suggested Vera, softly caressing her brother's light hair. "Witches wear amulets and talismans or drink antidotes to avoid some, let me call it the issues."

"You are not the first person who supposes she is a creature. Do you think I'm stupid? I live on this land and in its waters far too long to tell who is who."

"Who was that person who had asked you? Your pixie-hair cutie? How is she doing?" Alex turned his head to me again. He seemed wide awake and interested.

"Don't stretch my patience, witcher," I sat on the edge of the coffee table, ignoring his question. My head ached because of strange air in the room and, probably, my irritation.

"You are old; no one's disputing that, but immature, maximalist, and impulsive. You are emotional but should be focused. It's not like you to lose temper at the drop of a hat; the girl had a bad influence on you. Come on, Doris, think! Are you sure she did drink it?" Vera was watching me attentively.

"Of course, she did! I've come to her apartment today after a small accident with the talp, and she let me in. I had an opportunity to make her a cup of tea. While she was changing her wet clothes, I was able to add potion in her cup," I was listing today's events.

"Hold on, hold on. You tell me that a human, let us consider her as a human, not a witch in disguise or a half-blood, was involved in the accident with a talp, got wet somehow, probably, you dragged her into the water (to safe her from the talp, of course, but did she know it was all for her own protection?) and then she invited you to her apartment?" Vera interrupted me.

I felt lost under her sharp and gloomy aura, "She didn't invite me; I visited her later," I squeaked. Inside I was like a fish on the hot summer sand.

"Oh, devil; all my assumptions are right! And you were in a mermaid form, were not you?" I nodded and looked at giggling Alex. The witcher was enjoying the show; he even stretched his neck leaving Vera's comfortable laps to see my face. "So," his sibling continued, "A poor little girl was scared to death because not one but two undeads. She was soaked through to the skin in cold water and later accepted a drink from an absolute stranger who, she might have thought, nearly drowned her. Right?"

I wanted to object yet left my ideas on the forest situation untold. Basically, she was right; all else just insignificant details. Everything has been going differently in my head until the moment she explained me her understanding of the situation.

"So now tell me again if she drank the potion or it was just in your head?"

I covered my face with my hands, "She could just pretend to have a sip; she could have guessed I had put something in there! And having refused to drink, I might only confirm her doubts."

"I must go now! Excuse me, Vera, I've been so cranky!"

"Just go!" she laughed.

"What about "Excuse me, Alex" and "I will expiate my guilt till crystal waters get dark again"?" the witcher pouted his lips. "Hey, remember me to your virgin dryad!" I heard Alex's voice when I was already in the hall, "Tell her she can visit me aaany time!"

"Will Marina forgive my behavior?" I thought, running to her, "Any human might be amazed if not shocked, watching creatures' transformation or a creature in general. She asked me to share meals together, but I refused rudely and literally ordered her to drink her tea with potion. She told me he was her friend, but I didn't believe her, having spared my irony. She told me not to hurry up, but instead of giving her enough time and tell her about me and my good intentions towards her, putting it as mildly as possible, I just snapped and left her alone. If only I had time to apologize while it's not too late, and Marina does not kick me out this time or promote her best friend to 'the only one'."

***

Alex smiled, "What's on your mind, dear sister?"

"I don't need to tell you, that the potion is strong enough; it dissolves immediately in liquids and omits invisible fumes. Even holding a cup close to your mouth or nose, leads to the desirable result."

She stood up from the Chippendale sofa and slowly watered the flower with the rest of the potion, watching its last drops falling on the black soil. The flower starts stretching out the branches to the witch, blooming desperately. "I'm interested in this human girl."

"What are you going to do?" he smirked.

"The right question here is 'what are we going to do?'"