Part 30 HUMAN

The forest is full of unusual sounds, glows, and reflections. I just want to stop, to look around, to enjoy what I would never be able to see in my boring life before mermaid. Several times I noticed crimson and emerald lights amidst the moss, roots, and delicate white bindweed flowers. It was getting darker, but the birds' songs did not stop like the melody of summer nightingales. It seemed that these were not birds at all, but female voices that were singing beautiful melodies. In some places thin laughter rang like the bells and jingles on an old harness.

A strange desire to take a walk in the forest is filling me; I want to find to whom these wonderful voices belong to... Maybe Doris will simply forget about the dryad's affairs and come with me to show me her world.

"Don't get distracted, Marina!"

"Doris, wait. Stop..." I run around her, blocking her way. "Let's take our time, please." I hug her not giving her a chance to move.

"Marina..."

"One more minute. Give me one minute," I plead, needing her so badly. I feel embarrassed and guilty for not giving us more time together at the lighthouse when she begged me.

"Marina..." she is treating me with her deep, slow, wet kiss; the very slow kiss that is giving me the giddy enticement. "Marina... Marina..." she says between her soft, sweet moans, while running her hands through my hair. "Marina... we are almost there... we might get caught..."

"Well, y-yes, of course. We should go," I agreed, feeling a little out of breath.

Descending into a small ravine covered with dense grass and tall flowers resembling blue stars of amsonia, Doris, just like a bashful teen, managed to snatch a swift kiss again.

"Now it's pretty obvious that we can't make love normally, well, in a bedroom, on a bed," I chuckle coyly, kissing her neck.

"You're like a true mermaid," Doris whispers with a pride in her voice. "You can feel this freedom now," she says, playing with my strands.

"I could only feel freedom with you." I blush again, pressing my cheek against hers.

"Marina..." I can feel the breath and heartbeat of the mermaid.

"Yes, exactly! Juni. We have to set her straight," I mutter, while reluctantly pulling away from my mermaid.

"Rather give Alex a good dropkick. She's pretty much straight without our lesbian intervention. If jokes aside, I'm sure she doesn't even understand where the witcher has brought her on! It's strange that they came here: all valuable artifacts and potions that can be useful for witches' cunning purposes are stored in the Heavenly Quarters." She saw my surprised expression and hurried to explain, "Heavenly Quarters is the main place where their elders decide important matters and manage other pompous nonsense."

"Where are we going then?"

"This way," Doris pushes aside the hanging branches of a low weeping willow tree that is modestly nestled between its two giant neighbors.

"Wow!" that was all I could say. A huge forest clearing is creating a perfect circle in the middle of which reigns the eldest among elders and the most monstrous tree I've ever seen in my life.

The trees surrounding us seemed like small pawns against the background of their tree queen. The trunk of the tree pierced the vault and could well serve as a ladder to Heaven. The crown of the tree appeared to reflect the sky, and I quickly realized why. Silvery leaves were falling from skies. I stealthily picked up one (remembering the coin situation, of course). The leaf turned out to be soft to the touch and absolutely transparent.

The tree trunk served as a huge building with elaborately carved windows, balconies, turrets, and exquisite bas-reliefs. It seemed that dryads' architectural activity never interfered with the health of the tree.

"Welcome to the Library," whispers the mermaid.

I hurriedly slip an extraordinary leaf into my pocket, imagining how I would show it later to Sylvester, and then I bitterly remember that my friend left me alone to deal with the new, dangerous world.

"Are you alright? You turned pale."

"Thank you for not leaving me alone..."

"I'll never leave you. I told you so," Doris whispers in an agitated voice.

I sniffle and smile, "Come on, what are we waiting for! Let's get a couple of books from the super Library, because we're super educated women."

"Do you understand that not even all dryads can get the access to these books? You and I will have our heads spun if they find us," laughs the mermaid, but I'm already going boldly forward driven by some previously unknown feeling of lightness and confidence in my chest.