Part 7 MERMAID and HUMAN

A stupid human boy stayed on the ground. Marina was next to me trembling of cold water. She was, beyond all doubts, worried about her boyfriend. I ordered her to be quite not to draw talp's attention. I hoped he would be too noisy and the undead take interest in him but not in Juni, who was standing stiff as a dead bone holding her spear. She would probably attack him or even wound, yet that's not enough to kill him. She can't summon forest spirits: we are too close to the human city, and she can't force this creature to leave us. It is the undead, not the naturally born one.

No choice is left. I gulped and looked nervously at Marina. She stood so close, and I could swear I was trembling too, though it was not because of the chilling pond. I have no wish to throw my "sheepskin" like that. I shook my head to get rid of all thoughts, so as to focus on my aura. I tried to feel it on my fingertips, lips, tongue.

"Hey! Look at me monster! I'm here! Don't look at her, look at me!" That imbecile was waving his hands and screaming at the talp. What is he up to?

The undead slowly turned his head toward him, well, we all turned toward him. Me mostly in disbelieve (beware of your own wishes, mermaid!), Juni in overwhelming anger red in the face: I could swear I heard her gritting her teeth. Marina clutched at my hand; her palm was sweaty cold. She distracted me, and I lost the aura concentration. No one has ever been able to do so. Then so be it: we are safe in my water, let the beast eat him, who cares! Yet I sincerely worried about Marina: that might lead to psychological trauma. I looked at her pale shocked face; she'll find consolation in my arms, and soon she won't even remember his name. I shook my head to chase away sick wishes.

A human was standing nice and tall; his watery blue eyes were sparkling. He looked more hero than I at that moment, in that situation: he let his woman find a safe place and started helping a mere stranger with her spear.

A sudden explosion, that caused the wail of sirens and alarm installations at the distance, made us all start. The undead was not an exception: it growled, folded his "lips" like a pinkish sea anemone, and disappeared behind the unseasonably bare shrubbery. I sigh with relief and looked at Juni: she was mad. "I know, I know" my expression spoke for itself, "our indiscretions broke a few laws of magic society."

"Marina, get out of the water, quick. It might return any moment! Marina?" he offered a hand as I had done before. She hesitated still holding my hand. I squeezed it tightly. We stood speechless maybe for a second when she decided to obey her man. He helped her: took off her drenched jacket and gave her his. Marina was not Thumbelina, but in his autumn coat she seemed lost and diminutive.

"I'll call an Uber. If we stay here any longer, you're going to get a pneumonia or worse," he said it, squeezing out the folds of her jacket.

Не firmly hold her of the shoulders and compelled slowly but steadily towards the road, leaving her no chance to stay or turn.

I wanted to call her back but changed my mind seeing how wet and miserable she looked. He is a human too; he knows all her needs, and he could bring her home. And I, I'm just a nude stranger.

The sounds of the accident could still be heard from the remotest road. Amazingly how someone's disaster could change everything for us. Juni was not anywhere around as well as the fairy's smashed body, only some honeydew drops of her blood on the ground. The dryad took the body with her, probably, to return her home. I hoped my friend would come here or talk to me again, for she was definitely pissed.

I poked around and only then stepped on the shore. I focused my aura in fingers and fixed my eyes on the pond making a long water scarf running to my fingers, winding around them, and fall on the dirty ground washing away fairy's blood. Nobody would probably notice it, but I decided not to leave any evidence of our unfortunate presence.