Part 5 DRYAD

It was not a fairy season, but a fragile silhouette with transparent dusty blue wings was floating in misty air of grey morning. I hoped a stupid one wouldn't freeze to death, making up her nut-sized mind to go into hibernation.

Doris and I were sitting on a big mossy tree-trunk just in front of her pond. I hated the place which was so close to human settlements. I made a wry face: a reek of human roads and noise of their iron chariots was depressing.

"Why don't you move closer to the Border? I can ask the elders to give you one of our springs or lakes. Most of them don't ice up and you don't have to stay with humans all winter." Just mermaids' mere presence clears water and fends off undeads.

"I left my coin ashore and a human took it."

"I'm sure they won't mind! Stop... you did what?"

"I've made a huge mistake, and I don't know what to do now."

She hid her face with hands.

"Keep calm. We'll figure it out. Are there any spells or rituals to bring your coin back or cancel the whole process?"

She shook her head.

"Can your siblings from Tartarus help you? I'm sure they have some disgusting concoction in a cauldron for all occasions."

She shook her head again. A huge teardrop ran down her cheek.

"What did he do to you? Did that monster hurt you?!" I clenched my fists, looking around for my spear.

"She doesn't like me!" Doris burst out crying after several attempts to hold her emotions inside.

I relaxed. A woman, then. That's comforting. I've heard their females are less aggressive than men. We could handle it.

"A coin is a serious step, and you hold out on me," I stared at her in reproach.

"I'm telling it now. I didn't expect it to happen so fast! Some mermaids told me the process might last decades or even centuries when somebody finds a coin," she sobbed out, wiping her nose with a soft side of a listless coltsfoot.

"What made you think she might dislike you?" I tried to comfort her, hoping it was just a "human phase".

She was hushed for a while.

"She has someone special. I saw them together yesterday," she uttered huskily.

"That person could be anyone: her kin, her friend, just some random person from her Clan or House. Did she tell you she was not single?" The conversation was becoming ridiculous.

"She did not, but their body language spoke for itself," she said it, watching a fairy drinking cold raindrops from a dry leaf.

I rolled my eyes. I've never heard her saying such stupid things.

"Don't be angry with me, Juni. I know what you think about humans, and I remember all atrocities they did to your people. I just don't want to lose you as my best friend. Please, don't leave me now just because my coin chose her."

"What made you use your coin? Why now?" I thought she was happy flying from one "flower" to another.

Doris wore no clothes but my sheepskin on her shoulders that I'd borrowed her that day. All her body was made to be luscious and sensual: her face, her manners, her voice, her gestures. I wonder if she was aware of it or it was her natural behavior. All she had to do was crook her finger, and mortals would die for her. But no, look at her: she is following a coin. It's hard to believe! I never understood mermaids' rituals and traditions. I looked at her voluptuous curves, envying a little bit. We dryads are quite tall and slim. Both men and women usually have short haircuts. Only elders have long hair, they wear amazing raiments of green shades with hanging sleeves embroidered with magical threads and adorned with glowing gems and abraxases. For us simpletons, that's quite impracticable when we are hunting, fishing, building...