0.1 - Origins

Amanda Stuart is one of the leading scientists at a company called Star Blaze. Star Blaze’s headquarters is situated in the city of Chicago and is a place where unique scientists study space and to find any forms of life out there. Her work at Star Blaze has made a big impact throughout the company for many years now. She always is the last one to leave work. 

She comes home to three children Lily, Blake and Jasper. Jasper being the youngest would always try to be on the good side with his mum and always wanting his way. Amanda’s husband, Joel has just recently taken over a garage that his brother,Tim use to own which he has now moved onto piloting cargo ships from the United States to the United Kingdom. It would always be up to Amanda to bring home the money for the bills and food knowing that Joel would be wasting his income on alcohol and cigarettes. Amanda would always have to hire a babysitter knowing in fear that Joel might abuse the kids because of his drinking disorder. 

Every year on September the 23rd it is “bring your child to work day” at Star Blaze. This year it was Jasper’s turn to go. At this event they would play games and do activities for the kids in the morning and then go to back to work after lunch while the kids would help out or watch. Amanda was going into the toxic lab to work and Jasper bravely went and suited up with her and entered the lab. Amanda would handle all the toxins while Jasper would watch her work. “Go fill this beaker up to 100 mL of water and then sit it on the bench please.” Amanda asks Jasper as goes to fill the beaker and then sits down on the bench. Five minutes later he looks down at the beaker as he saw the water shake from side to side. He then looks through the viewing window and sees scientists and their children running to the stairs and leaving the building, he turns around to warn his mum. “MUM!” He shouts. Amanda looks up in panic and runs over to Jasper, grabs his hand and starts to run towards the exit door of the toxin room. When suddenly a blast sends them flying back and hit the back wall of the room.

Hours later, Jasper wakes up in hospital with his dad and two siblings standing beside him. It takes Jasper a while to take in where he is and why his dad and siblings are wearing the same suits he was wearing in his mums toxin lab. “Where’s mum?” Japer asks his dad barely able to talk. “Son, your mum did not survive the earthquake.” he replies to Jasper as he comfits him. Jasper replies back with confusion “Earthquake?” 

The doctors pulled Joel away and told him that Jasper has 8 to 12 months before the toxin takes over his body and he dies. 

Six months had gone on and no improvements were being made by Jasper. Joel was struggling to keep up with house payments, education for Lily and Blake and hospital bills. On March the 25th Joel had just brought Lily and Blake back home from school and told them to “Pack your bags kids with as much stuff as you can.” Lily and blake didn't even answer knowing that Joel had been drinking and didn’t want to get him angry and cause them any trouble. Lily and Blake went and put there bags in the car as soon as Joel had told them too. Joel gets in the car and pulls out his phone, dials a phone number. All Lily and Blake can hear Joel say is “We are coming.” and look at each other in concern. Joel pulls up at the hospital car park, “Stay here, I’ll be quick.” he says to Lily and Blake. Joel walks up to Jasper’s door to make sure he is asleep which he is. He walks in and gets out his wallet, he pulls out an old picture of Amanda and leaves it on the bedside table and then exits the room and back to the car. Joel gets back into the car without saying a word and starts to drive off. Joel gets there bags out the back of the car and tells Lily and Blake to get out of the car. They start walking and realise a familiar face approaching them. “Hello kids, you’ve all grown up!” Joel’s brother,Tim said to him. “Where are we?” Blake asks his father. “C’mon lets go!” he replies to the kids, totally avoiding the question. They enter through this big metal gate and on the other side they see a massive cargo ship. “All aboard!” Tim replied as they all walk along the bridge which is from the docks to the ship. Tim shows them to a cabin as they shake back and forth, trying to grab onto their beds for some sort of stance. “Any questions before we set sail kids?” Tim asks. “Whats the name of this ship?” Blake asks. “Star Blaze!” Tim replies with a smirk and walks out the room. Blake looks over at Lily with terror all over his face.