0.9 - The Fight

I step my way back from the corner, taking deep breathes. I can't believe I have forgotten about him. 

I step back into one of the hostages. A man, only looking a few years younger than Retro.  Blood streaming from his forehead, nothing but fear all over his face. 

"Sorry" I say without waiting for a reply. 

I turn around to see Retro and Alex deep in conversation with each other, probably talking tactics, trying to find the easiest way out.

I kneel down next to Megan who is sitting with her back against the building. Her head in her hands. "Hey." I say expressionlessly touching her on the shoulder with my palm. She lifts her head, tears running down the side of her face as she looks at me. "Hey Jasper." She says wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"How are you doing?" I say.

"I've had better days. What are we going to do with this guy?"

"I'm not sure, I guess we'll have to find another route around."

"Jasper," Megan starts, putting her hand on my shoulder. "You need to go fight him."

"Me? Why?" I say, as the anger begins to rise. She wants me to go out there and fight him while she sits here and does nothing?

"I can see frustration all over your face, Jasper. You need to go let it out." She says as I try to relax my shoulders so I don't look so tense. She stands up, using the building on her back to help her.

Retro and Alex make their way over to Megan and myself. 

"We're going to go back 3 blocks and then head East from there and out of the city." Retro says. Alex walks past me brushing my shoulder with his as he goes to check on the hostages and the other soldiers. 

"That'll take double the time." I say looking down at my watch. I want to get out of this city, away from the chaos. 

"Yes, but it's better than being caught by whatever the hell that thing is." Retro says pointing over his shoulder at where the man would be if there wasn't a building in the way.

"I'll...distract him." I say trying to get it out as fluent as I could, not showing any fear. 

"What? No, your just a kid. What are you going to do?" He says. I look down at my shoes, brushing the sole of my shoe against the concrete path which is now cracked in places, probably from all the tanks rolling over it. I hear Megan take over the conversation and start debating with Retro about the situation but I phase it out, trying not to focus on what's happening. I'm too afraid. 

My ears awake to the sound of Retro and Megan's conversation.

"He's going in and that's final." Megan says.

"Even if he does go in, what's he going to do?" Retro starts getting frustrated, that he is having this conversation with her. 

Megan gives me a slap on the side of my arm. Still looking at the ground, I decide that I have to show Retro what I can do. I think Megan has decided that already as well. I see my shoes and the concrete path around me start to turn orange. I slowly lift my head and look at Retro. 

Retro takes a step back in shock.

"What the—" He starts but is interrupted by Megan putting her hand over his mouth. She places her index finger over her lips to indicate to be quiet. 

"He's not all human." Megan says slowly removing her hand off his mouth. Retro looks like he's about to explode with frustration. He opens his mouth to speak but I cut him off.