013 | cornhusker and the gold man

it took three of them to hold back the satyr; phoebe just watched, amused.

"whoa, coach!" jason said. "bring it down a few notches."

phoebe shook her head. "no, don't listen to him coach!" jason gave her a look as she put her hands up in a surrender.

a younger man charged into the room. jason guessed he must be lit, the old guy's son. he was dressed in pajama pants with a sleeveless t-shirt that said cornhuskers, and he held a sword that looked like it could husk a lot of things besides corn. his ripped arms were covered in scars, and his face, framed by curly dark hair, would've been handsome if it wasn't also sliced up.

lit immediately zeroed in on jason like he was the biggest threat, and stalked toward him, swinging his sword overhead. phoebe jumped up and ran in front of jason, sword in hand.

"hold on!" piper stepped forward, trying for her best calming voice. "this is just a misunderstanding! everything's fine." lit stopped in his tracks, but he still looked wary. it didn't help that Hedge was screaming, "i'll get them!"

"coach," jason pleaded, "they may be friendly. besides, we're trespassing in their house."

phoebe sighed, disappointed. she quite enjoyed hedge making a fool of himself. she turned to glare at lit, angry that he had basically threatened jason, only to find him already staring at her with a scary glint in his eyes.

"thank you!" said the old man in the bathrobe. "now, who are you, and why are you here?"

"let's all put our weapons down," piper said. "coach, you first."

hedge clenched his jaw. "just one thwack?"

"yes!" phoebe said.

"No," piper argued.

"what about a compromise? i'll kill them first, and if it turns out they were friendly, i'll apologize."

"sure!" phoebe encouraged.

"no!" piper insisted.

"meh." coach hedge lowered his club.

phoebe sighed, deciding to go along with piper, so she gave lit a (very forced) friendly sorry-about-that smile. even with her hair messed up and wearing two-day-old clothes, she looked extremely cute, and jason could help but feel a little jealous she was giving lit that smile, especially with the way he was looking at her.

lit huffed and sheathed his sword. "you speak well, girls— fortunately for your friends, or i would've run them through."

"appreciate it," leo said. "i try not to get run through before lunchtime."

the old man in the bathrobe sighed, kicking the teapot that coach hedge had smashed. "well, since you're here. please , sit down."

lit frowned. "your majesty—"

"no, no, it's fine, lit," the old man said. "new land, new customs. they may sit in my presence. after all, they've seen me in my nightclothes. no sense observing formalities." he did his best to smile, though it looked a little forced. " welcome to my humble home. i am king midas."

"midas? impossible," said coach. "he died."

they were sitting on the sofas now, jason's arm protectively around phoebes waist while the king reclined on his throne. at first, the daughter of poseidon had refused to sit, but she reluctantly agreed when jason lightly tugged her next to him.

lit stood behind the throne, both hands on his sword, glancing at phoebe and flexing his muscular arms just to be annoying. jason wondered if he looked that ripped holding a sword. sadly, he doubted it.