Chapter 6 - Let the games begin

Start from the beginning

Forth and Beam are one of the first couples to receive their bag. It contains a rope, a matchbox, a compass and of course the aforementioned letter.

"Okaaaay?! What are we gonna do with all this stuff?" Beam looks at the contents of the bag with his head tilted.

Forth can only shake his head at Beam's impatience. "We'll probably realize later on, was we any use to the things. Let us first open the envelope. The clue it contains is at least 100% helpful and useful!"

"Geez, then open the stupid thing already!" Grumbles Beam. It's already noticeable how little interest Beam has in the whole thing.

Forth opens the letter and finds a riddle text inside. In subdued volume, only so that Beam can understand him, Forth reads the riddle. "They have not flesh, nor feathers, nor scales, nor bone. Yet they have fingers and thumbs of their own. What are they?"

"Huh? What on earth could it be?" Asks Beam, tapping his index finger against his lips.

"Sssh, you moron, can't you see I'm thinking?" Forth hushes Beam.

"Who you calling a moron, you ass!"

"There is just one person here you could call a moron."

"Whatever." Beam is pouting. "Let's focus on the riddle instead of throwing insults at each other."

Forth nods, already fully concentrated on the riddle again.

"Soooooo, what do you think it could be?" Beam asks again.

"Beam, just shut up for a second." And Forth puts his hand on Beam's mouth before he can disturb him again, then he rereads the riddle. "They have not flesh, nor feathers, nor scales, nor bone. Yet they have fingers and thumbs of their own. What are they?"

...

"Okay, let's go, Beam. We have to go to the medical lab."

"Whrmpf..." Beam's answer is not really understandable thanks to Forth's hand on his mouth.

"What?"

Beam points with furrowed brows at Forth's hand.

"Ow, sorry."

"Thank you. And I asked, why do we have to go to the medical lab when we have to solve the riddle first?"

"This is exactly why we need to get to the medical lab. Now, let's go!" Forth grabs Beam's hand and drags him to the lab.

...

...

"Forth, why are we here? Tell me!"

"For real?! How did you manage to get a scholarship if you're so stupid? Do you really still have no idea why we're here?" Forth looks at Beam in disbelief. "Ah, I forgot! You're so damn rich you're used to lifting your little finger so people will lay the world at your feet!"

Full of rage, Beam grabs Forth by his collar and pushes him against the door of the medical lab. "You fucking bastard! You know nothing about me!" Tears begin to run down Beam's cheeks. "Yes, my so called parents are damn rich but not me! I got that scholarship for various reasons and definitely not because of my parents, I got it on my own! So don't you dare say anything about my situation or about me if you know absolutely nothing about me, you bastard." Anger, but also hurt is visible and hearable in Beam's expression and voice.

Forth never thought that his words could hurt Beam so much and the regret about his words is clearly visible in his face. "I'm sorry, Beam. I didn't mean to hurt you and you're right: I shouldn't judge you if I didn't know you."