Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

~Brielle’s POV~

My heart was racing, not only from my run, but from the horrible memories of this place… I walked through the large black iron gate of the cemetery and walked down the tiny dirt road through the endless rows of gravestones. I had a love-hate relationship with this place; I hated the horrible memories, somber tone, and death all around me, but I loved knowing that my mother was here, feeling closer to her. I made my way to the row my mother was buried in and froze when I saw her grave for the first time in a while…

“Hi, mom” I whispered as I knelt down near her gravestone, “Sorry I didn’t have time to bring you anything… I really miss you, mommy.” I cried. I kissed her grave stone and just stared at her name on the stone… I remember the first time I was here…

*Flashback*

I sat in the car with my dad, we were following a strange looking car that mommy was sleeping in. When the car stopped, daddy and some other people came out and carried mommy’s “box” to a little place under a tent. It was raining, and I was cold, yet I felt completely numb to everything around me. The priest began to talk, but I couldn’t listen… I was just looking at the box my mom was in and reading her name on the grey stone… I knew that when people die you don’t see them, but no one told me that they get put in the ground and you can never even see their sleeping box again… when they lowered my mom into the ground I panicked.

“Mom!!!!” I screamed as I moved closer to the hole that they were putting my mom in.

“Honey, it’s okay, mommy isn’t there, she’s in heaven.” My mom’s old friend whispered in my ear as she held me back. 

“I don’t want her to go!!!” I sobbed as I watched her sleeping box disappear into the ground.

Everyone was given a flower to throw and then they left; daddy ripped his up angrily and stomped away, leaving me there alone. I kissed my flower and threw it in the hole right on top of mommy. I heard daddy calling my name, but I just couldn’t leave. I stood there crying; it really hit me, I wasn’t going to see mommy anymore.

“Brielle! Let’s go! Now!” my dad yelled angrily as he took a sip of the bad drink again.

I didn’t listen to him, I couldn’t, no matter how hard I tried to move, my body just wouldn’t let me. My black dress was soaking wet, my shoes were muddy, and cold air was blowing all around me, but none of that mattered… my mom was in the ground, and she would be there forever…

“I told you we’re going, now!” my dad screamed as he ran over to me, “it’s raining!”

“I don’t want to leave, daddy!” I cried

“You have three seconds before I drag you out of here!” he threatened

“No!” I cried as I knelt down near mommy’s grave.