Chapter 31: In Sickness...

I laid in bed that night next to Sean, my arms wrapped around him and my face nuzzled into the back of his neck. His light breathing told me he was already asleep. I felt so incredibly warm inside as I thought about how perfect Thanksgiving dinner was tonight. It was probably the best I've ever had. I lightly squeezed Sean a little tighter, taking in his smell. He smelled so amazingly good. He suddenly grabbed my hand and pulled it closer against his chest in his sleep.

"I love you," I whispered I his ear before kissing the side of his head lightly and falling asleep.

* * * *

I woke up with a headache and a stuffy nose. I groaned as I rolled over in bed. Sean was still sleeping soundly and I didn't want to disturb him. I really had to pee.

Just as I was I was about to leave the room my phone started vibrating on the nightstand on my side of the bed. I quickly snatched up the phone and headed out down the hallway.

"Dad," I whispered. "Why are you calling so early?"

"You sound like crap. Are you sick?" She said. I literally froze at the sound of her voice. I wobbled on my feet, suddenly feeling like I was thrown off balance.

"Why are you calling on dad's phone?" I asked calmly after hesitating for a couple seconds. I was surprisingly calm.

"Because I knew you wouldn't answer if I called," she replied stiffly.

"Can you blame me?" I snapped. "What do you want?"

"Jake...I want...I want to try to fix things," she stammered. I was completely taken aback. I almost dropped the phone.

"Um. I hope you weren't planning on fixing things over the phone," I scoffed. I don't know why but I was feeling pissed off. Why the hell did she have to call me the morning after Thanksgiving and say she wanted to try to fix things between us? It's a little late. Hell she's a couple months late. I could hear her sigh and she hesitated before speaking again.

"No I.. well I was hoping to come see your place? M-maybe talk?" She replied awkwardly.

"I think it would be better if we meet at your house or out somewhere," I said. There was no way I was ready for her to come here. This was my safe place. Sean and I were at peace here.i didn't want her here.

"Okay," she said slowly. "When would be a good time?" I really needed to pee by this point dammit.

"I don't know. I'll think about it." Ok replied before abruptly hanging up the phone. Ugh my head was pounding as I hustled to the bathroom.

Once I relieved myself, I washed my hands and started feeling a little lightheaded. Maybe I was catching a cold. I gripped the edge of the bathroom counter and took some deep breaths, splashing water on my face somehow thinking that might help.

"Hey," Sean said groggily, standing shirtless in the doorway rubbing the back of his neck. "You okay?" I nodded my head.

"I'm fine. I think I'm just getting a cold," I sniffled. He came over and pulled me into a hug. I melted into a puddle he was so warm. I clung to him, enjoying the warmth and inhaling his wonderful scent. I still had no idea how to describe how good he smelled. His messy hair was so adorable I couldn't help but make it even more messy by running my fingers through it. He kissed my neck and pulled back to look in my eyes.

"Did you sleep okay?" He asked, his eyes looking slightly concerned.

"Yeah. I think I'm just as little shaken from talking to my mom," I replied. His eyes widened in surprise.

"You talked to her? What did she say?" I just shrugged.

"She threw me off by asking to talk...she wanted to come here and see our place," I explained, wincing as my head felt ready to explode.