Chapter 52: "A Mysterious Place"

After turning on some of your favorite music to help your mind settle for the night, you fell into a deep sleep. All things were peaceful, until around 3:00 AM.

With a jolt, suddenly you were in a dark alley. Straightening your coat, you couldn't help but shiver at the cold air nipping at your skin. Furrowing your brows, you looked around and saw no clear indications of where you are. So, you reached over to pull your phone from your pocket. But the problem is, your phone has mysteriously disappeared.

And, with no other options, you decide that walking around is the best solution. At least, until you can figure out where you are. So, that's indeed what you did.

You walked down alleyway, after alleyway until you reached a tall chain link fence. Noticing there was no other way around it, you shrug and begin climbing it. And, after scaling down the fence, you were in.

Less than a hundred feet in front of you was an abandoned building. Mostly comprised of brick with faded blue shutters and broken windows.

Vandalism has definitely taken place, the chipping walls are decorated with an array of colors and swears. But, one piece catches your eye and doesn't just make you feel disgusted. The words "STAY OUT!" are painted in red near the entrance, instilling a feeling of curiosity and fear into your mind.

Despite the threatening graffiti, you decide to trudge forward, glancing up at the full moon in the sky. The stars lie dormant tonight, so the only thing lighting the dark surroundings is the shine of the moon. But, that doesn't keep you away from this mysterious building.

Flashlight-less, you push through the partially cracked and paint-chipped door and look around. Black dirt, old newspapers, animal droppings, and vintage furniture pollute the old, soft wooden floor.

Not wanting to let the messy interior ruin your exploration, you step forward, using the moon as a guide to find the clean spots on the floor. You eventually make it to an antique hutch lined with old family photos. Nobody you really recognize.

One of the people featured heavily in the photos is a man with dirty blonde hair in his mid 40s, he wears plenty of patterned button up shirts. Another is a lady around his age, most likely his wife. She dresses in plenty of dresses, always has on a pearl necklace, and has platinum blonde hair done up neatly in classic curls. And, lastly is a little boy dressed in red overalls. He has platinum blonde hair like his mother, but his eyes seem so dull.

But, by your attention is torn off of the old framed photos when you feel a mouse run over your foot. Jumping in surprise, you and the mouse both scurry away from the hutch and you walk further into the house.

Despite being torn apart by vandals over the years, this house seems to be frozen in time. Coffee mugs still on the table, and dishes are still in the sink, never to be washed again.

You can't help but admire this old building, so when you see the staircase a smile forms on your lips. What could possibly be up there?

You walk to the stairs and as soon as your shoe touches the wood, the stairs creak loudly. You put more weight on them to test their strength, but they do not give way, so you continue on, up the long staircase. The sound of nearby bats makes your heart pound faster, bringing you even more anxiety. But, you ignore the worries and continue onward.

At the top, you're met with a small hall and two rooms mere feet from it. You walk into the first and are met with the son's old bedroom. Decorated with sailboats and teddy bears, you continue to observe this almost completely intact room. You walk to the bed, which is still made up with a bear plush propped against the blue pillows.