As an uncomfortable silence settled over them again, Rose put the dark thoughts aside and watched Katya cook. She pulled a pan out of a cupboard and put it over the stove, turning the heat on. She poured a thin batter-like mixture into the pan and Rose realized she was making crepes. Katya continued until she had a large stack, and finally split them in half on two plates and handed one to Rose. She handed her some strawberry jam as well, before spreading it on her own stack and digging in.

"Here, eat up. I hope you like it."

Rose brought a fragrant bite to her lips, wondering what it would taste like. After all, the ingredients looking similar didn't mean they tasted similar. She took a bite and was surprised by the delicious nutty flavor of the crepe combined with the tart, fruity flavor of the jam. It was like crepes she'd had in the past, but she'd be willing to bet the flour was made of something other than wheat.

"Wow, that's so good. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'm glad to have someone around who appreciates my cooking. It's been a long time since I've been able to make blinchiki for someone else." Katya smiled at her, eyes crinkling.

Rose quickly ate the delicious meal, then she and Katya walked back to the living room where Samael was resting on the couch, eyes closed. She wasn't sure he could teach her anything while he was so unwell. He looked somehow even worse than yesterday with the growing dark circles under his eyes.

"Hey, wake up. It's time. You need to earn your keep." Katya shook him less than gently.

Samael groaned, then glared at Katya. "Fine. Help me up."

Katya grabbed his arm and gently helped prop him up against the couch cushions. When he was situated, he scrutinized Rose carefully. Content with whatever he found, he nodded to himself.

"Let's begin. That is, if you don't need to fetch one of your mistrustful clan members." He threw that last sentence dryly at Katya.

"Not this time. I am their leader, after all, and they expect me to hold up our decisions and rules, which is exactly what I will do." That last part sounded pointed, though Rose wasn't sure why.

Samael rolled his eyes exaggeratedly before turning back to Rose. "Now that's out of the way...let's focus on where your power comes from first. Usually, when someone uses power, it comes from one part of their body or mind. It's like a pulling feeling directing your motions. When tapped into correctly, it allows almost instantaneous access to the power and increases reflexes considerably. For now, I want you to see if you can make the power rise and figure out where it's coming from before letting it subside again."

That made sense. Rose remembered feeling a pull before when she tried to use her powers when she was being shot at. All the other times, it felt like it had completely taken her over and was all around her. But maybe the key to controlling it was tapping into that pull like Samael had said. Before she could do as he said, however, she hesitated. Did she really want to do this? Every time she used her power, she worried she might open a door that could never shut again. That was the last thing she wanted.

"Do I have to do this? I don't want these abilities. Can't I give it to you or something?" Rose asked, hopeful there was something she could do.

Samael looked at her, no readable emotion on his face. "I am sorry. I know you do not want this, but in order to get you out of here we have to comply for now. If I could take it from you and lessen your burden, I would." Rose's disappointment must have shown on her face because Samael reached out, fingers barely touching the back of her hand. "I promise I will let nothing happen to you. I will get you out of here and to safety."