Chapter 30: Thanksgiving

Start from the beginning

"Well boys let's set the table. It's almost 3 which is when I told everyone to be here," Kristen said, and with that Sean and I got the plates and utensils and placed them at the dinner table. Then we got the glasses and the napkins. Everything looked perfect. Sean and I could sit on one side, his grandparents on the other, and Kristen could be at the end with my dad at the other end. I grabbed Sean by the waist and pulled him close to me. Despite everything with my mom, I wasn't going to let anything ruin the happiness I was feeling right now. I was celebrating Thanksgiving with my family. That was something to be thankful for. The love of my life would be at my side, who could ask for anything more?

The doorbell rang and Kristen excused herself to answer it. Voices sounded for a few seconds until his Grandma appeared around the corner. She was short and had gray hair that was neatly combed and styles.

"Ahh. There's my grandson!" She said excitedly, hurrying over to Sean and pinching his cheeks, causing him to blush in embarrassment (which was adorable I might add.) "How have you been?"

"I've been doing great Grandma," he replied, linking our fingers together. I smiled to myself but his grandma caught it.

"Aww you two are the CUTEST!" She said very animatedly. Then it was my turn to get my cheeks pinched, causing Sean to chuckle and earning him a playful glare from me. "I'm so excited for the wedding!! Ahh! I can't stand it! Doug! Doug wasn't I just talking about what a great couple these two are? I remember when they were kids like it was yesterday," she rambled, gesturing to her husband, Sean's grandpa. He clapped Sean on the back.

"We're both so proud and excited for you both," Sean's grandpa said, shaking my hand.

"Thanks grandpa. It means a lot to us," Sean replied. Grandpa Doug had gray hair and dark eyes. He too was neatly dressed and his hair was combed perfectly. Sean's grandparents were the type of older couple that you admired. They were perfect for each other and so cute together.

"So where are your folks? Are they coming?" Grandpa Doug asked. An awkward silence followed before I quickly answered.

"Uh..well my dad said he'd join us. He should be here shortly. My mother and I haven't been getting along so.." I stuttered. Grandpa Doug nodded in understanding.

"We hope everything works out," Sean's grandma, Kate, replied.

"Thanks, me too," I said quietly.

"Mom, dad? Would you like anything to drink? Dinner is almost ready." Kristen said from the kitchen counter.

"No thanks Hun, we'll wait for dinner. Don't mind us," Grandpa Doug replied, waving his hand dismissively. I bit my lip to keep from laughing. He was a little rude to his daughter. Kristen just shrugged and went back to busying herself in the kitchen. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the time. It was 3:10. Why was my dad late? I looked at Sean.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I asked, gesturing we go somewhere private. He nodded and followed me out of the kitchen and into one of the guest bedrooms. He closed the door behind him. "Tell me what happened," I demanded. He took a deep breath.

"Jake there isn't time to tell you everything," he replied.

"Okay well do you have any idea why my dad is late? Did he say he was for sure coming?" I asked. Sean shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah he said he would come. I don't know why he isn't here yet. I'm sure it's nothing," he reassured. I shook my head.

"When it comes to my mother, it's not nothing," I scoffed. I looked away from him and towards the door, fumbling with the sleeve of my gray sweater.