8. The Wizard's Departure

The next morning, everyone quickly got to work, knowing they had no time to waste. Kate, Rafe, Michael and Dr. Pym scanned the vast library and various piles of notes for any information on the new, more flexible boundaries between the worlds of life and death. Robert joined them, but didn't know what he was looking for and thus wasn't of much use.

Meanwhile, Emma and the ghost of Gabriel kept watch from the front porch, all while carrying out a conversation.

"So, how have things been going with your family?" Gabriel asked.

Emma shrugged, "not great, to be honest. My parents really wanna protect us and try a normal life, but they're kinda just smothering us. I mean, we aren't little kids anymore. We're capable in our own right."

"You and your siblings most definitely are," Gabriel agreed.

"And they think it'd be easiest for us to heal if we just pretend like we're ok, and our magic aside. But me and Michael and Kate don't wanna do that! I know it might sound crazy after all we've been through, but the magical world feels like home to us in a way the normal world never did," Emma continued.

"Well of course," Gabriel nodded, "that is to be expected. The magical world is where you grew into the person you are today. The magical world has made you stronger."

Emma exclaimed, "Exactly! And there's so much more to learn about and do, and I don't wanna turn back now. And I know my siblings don't either."

"How have Kate and Michael been?" Gabriel questioned.

Emma replied, "Michael's nightmares have been going away which is good. But he really misses his friends, like King Robbie and Wilamena. Especially Wilamena. As for Kate.... she's gone through a lot. And she's been trying to deal with all the nightmares but they aren't going away like me and Michael's have started to. Plus I know she's frustrated since, y'know, she raised me and Michael so she knows how to help us. But when she tries to give our parents advice, they don't listen."

"Much like their children," Gabriel mused.

"Hey!" Emma yelled, but there was a smile growing on her face. She had really missed Gabriel, her best friend and mentor. He was one of the only people she felt like understood and respected her, and who she could trust to listen to her and protect her.

Gabriel, for his part, just felt grateful to see the girl who was like a daughter to him again.

"So what do you think is going on with the barriers between life and death?" Emma asked.

Gabriel tilted his head towards the cloudy sky, pondering for a moment, then said, "I am not sure, but it might have to do with how the Books destabilized the world when in use."

"But then why wouldn't it happen right away?"

"I am not sure. But that's one of the wizard's more realistic theories," Gabriel admitted.

Emma snorted, "how has it been in the afterlife with Dr. Pym?"

"He has been on a quest to reunite people in the land of the dead and along the way find his old friends that he has lost," Gabriel answered.

"Have you been helping him?" Emma wondered.

Gabriel nodded, "I have also been working to reunite people with their loved ones in the land of the dead. Finishing what you started with the Reckoning and all."

"How has it been going?" Emma pressed.

"Slow but successful," the warrior responded. Emma nodded and they fell into comfortable silence for a moment.