"C-can you get some water?" She gasped out, as her throat felt like it was closing in. He nodded and dashed from the room. He was back within seconds holding a tall glass of cold water. He handed it to her and watched as she drank.

"What happened? You scared me so bad." It was then that she noticed he was shaking a little and she felt bad.

"I'm so sorry. It was just a nightmare. I didn't even know that I usually scream. I guess my dad doesn't wake up and well there's usually no one else to hear it. I'm really sorry to have woken you up like that." She babbled on and on, seemingly unable to stop and she felt panic working it's way up her throat again.

"Megan. Megan slow down. It's okay." She felt the bed dip a bit as he sat beside, before he took her face in his hands and held it gently. "Just take a few deep breaths." He murmured. She gasped for air until her breathes finally slowed and she could actually think straight. "You get those often?" He asked her, brushing a sweaty piece of hair behind her ear. She swallowed hard and nodded.

"At least once a week." She couldn't look up at him and felt his eyes on her.

"Are they of your accident?" He asked the question softly, and she felt tears come to her eyes. She nodded slightly and he sighed. "Can you scoot over a bit?" She looked at him in surprise, but then used her arms to maneuver her body over a bit, watching as he slid in beside her. They both sat propped up against the headboard and he wrapped strong arms around her, pulling her a little closer to him. "My momma always said to talk about your nightmares. She used to hold me like this and I would tell her them and then they would just fade away."

"But mine are real." She whispered, a tear trickling down her face. He squeezed her.

"I know darlin. But you can still tell them to me." She knew that by telling him this, she would be opening up a lot to him, and it would include telling him of what had happened to her. She found herself wanting to though.

"I was riding a new horse named Bucky. He was a good horse and an excellent prospect for poles because he was fast and agile. We were out on a trail that I didn't know as well, and so I didn't know it connected to a old logging road." As if he could tell what was coming next Tate sighed and pulled her closer.

"I was running him flat out, seeing just how fast he could go. I felt like I was flying. I was on top of the world. Then suddenly, I heard a horn and I realized that there was a road in front of us and I couldn't stop him and the truck couldn't stop and then suddenly I felt an impact and blinding pain. I couldn't see anything but I could hear Bucky screaming in pain, and someone swearing and then someone else screaming. I think it was me. Then I woke up in the hospital without the use of my legs." The memories were sharp in her mind and she let out a sigh full of anguish.

"I'm so sorry." Tate breathed into her hair.

"The worst part of it all was that it was my fault. I remember lying on the side of the road in pain worse than I ever could've imagined, but knowing that it was my fault. I listened to Bucky die. And he didn't die an easy death. I killed a perfectly good horse, all because I was too careless to check where the trail led and I wanted to go fast." Tears trickled down her face and Tate pulled her so close to him that she could feel the button on his jeans digging into her stomach.

"Trust me Megs, it was not your fault. What happened was an accident and besides, if it was an old logging road than you didn't expect anyone to be on it. I know guilt and I know how awful it feels but you don't have to suffer with it okay? You did nothing wrong." She just nodded against his chest and sniffled.

"It was so hard. I didn't want to live after my accident because I had to give up everything. I had lost my grandma two months prior and my dad was rapidly going downhill with his dementia."

"But you got through it." He whispered, planting a light kiss on the top of her head. "You got through it because you are so strong." Megan shook her head.

"It wasn't my strength. Uncle Rex pushed me to regain my old life, and helped me to realize that I could still do things I loved. He renovated this whole house. The ranch itself helped too. My grandma always used to say it had special healing powers to the soul. But most of all God helped me through." He grew quiet at that, but kept rocking her gently in his arms. Megan was getting sleepy again and the rocking soothed her, as did the warmth of his body. No one had comforted her since Rex had died and she had had to become independent and strong. Her eyes drooped and she snuggled against his hard warm chest.

"Just sleep." She heard his raspy whisper, and felt his fingers gliding through her hair.

"Thanks Tate."

"Anytime." The last thing she remember is sleepily babbling at him.

"I never got to ride again. I want too. But Rex never got around to it or maybe he was scared to let me ride again and I couldn't do it on my own. But I miss it so much. Four years without the thing I couldn't live without." She was asleep before she heard his answer.
****
Happy New Year guys!! Again I'm so sorry about not updating. This is a slightly longer chapter to try and make up for it. I really hope you guys are still enjoying the book though and I promise to try and update more regularly! ~ S