[ 🧸¹⁴ ] beomgyu's gonna know.

(a longer chapter than usual)

it was unclear to both of them how long their parents had been friends.

they had just both been in each others' lives for as long as they could remember.

and when one has such a long history with someone, it can be hard to sense exactly what type of feelings they might harbor.

such was the case for soobin choi, who grew up in awe of his older best friend.

most of their childhoods involved soobin following after yeonjun because he found the elder so cool.

as they grew older, however, their friendship started to crumble. for more reasons than they understood at the time.

tween yeonjun no longer wanted soobin to follow him around, and he found a new group of friends that captured his attention.

preteen soobin grew lonelier as time went on, but eventually realized the reason why he had followed yeonjun around so much before. it had been from an early age that soobin already liked yeonjun, more than anyone realized.

but, whenever yeonjun was over at soobin's house, he'd talk about those new friends he'd found. them. it was always about them, and how... mature they were.

this certainly struck a nerve in soobin, who had always strived to capture yeonjun's attention as much as the elder did for him.

from then on, soobin pretended to hate yeonjun, who, of course, had no idea exactly what he was losing.

he started spending less and less time with soobin, until eventually it reached a point where yeonjun would only see soobin whenever their parents forced them together.

once soobin realized yeonjun would only "hang out" with him when he was forced to, or when he wasn't allowed to see those friends, it angered him.

it angered him, though soobin didn't understand why, at the time.

they were just kids. and what do kids know about love?

____________________________

yeonjun's friends were bad news.

they consistently got into fights and in trouble at school, which alarmed the boy's parents.

they knew this wasn't who their son was; it was merely a dangerous shell he was trying out for himself, being shaped by the tumultuous attitude of adolescence.

so, when his parents found shining academy, a boarding school for high school boys, they jumped at the chance.

the only thing was, it was a boarding school, so yeonjun would be alone in a whole new world (shh, i'm watching aladdin), and that had a possibility of making the problem worse.

but, hey, weren't they friends with a couple who had a son around yeonjun's age?

of course, soobin had been quite infamous in their household awhile back; as a child, yeonjun used to always come home ranting about how he was going to marry soobin one day because they both liked ice cream and spider-man.

they had no idea of the changing relationship between the two, so they decided to convince soobin's parents to also enroll him in the boarding school.

it had been no easy feat until the incident with a boy from their school happened.

apparently, he'd been bullied for a long time by multiple students, and the school had known, yet not done anything. it was only when a few friends of his stepped in and defended him - violently - that everyone had become aware.