Chapter 14

It has been almost a week since I kissed the Devil. I've been in my own head more and more. I keep imagining the feeling throughout the week. I'm not sure how to process what happened, or how I allowed it to, but I'm not fearful that it happened. Rio and Kei have been with me fairly consistently. Yesterday, we ended up getting dinner at Kei's favorite restaurant before heading to his house to help his mom make more ice cream. 

"Akira," Rio's voice rung out, making me look up from my place on the mat. I was folding the clean towels that we use for the people in the gym. "Can you come help me?" I nodded and set the towel down before going to help. It was a simple technique and angle change; the man was able to complete the kick with more ease. 

I went back to my spot on the floor, folding a mountain of clean towels. Rio hates folding laundry; I don't mind so much. I can see the initial state, and when I'm finished, I get a sense of accomplishment.  Everyone was taking a break while I kept folding the laundry. I could hear small conversations here and there. I ended up tuning everyone out and continued to work on folding when I heard a commotion. My gaze followed the altercation of someone entering the gym and Mr.Crawford. 

"Gentleman, I told you to leave my property," Mr.Crawford growled. I peered up at the men who were making the commotion from my spot on the outside mat of the ring. 

"Listen, geezer," One of the rude men snapped at Mr.Crawford. My eyes almost bugged out of my head at the sheer disrespect. I knew Mr.Crawford would have it under control, considering he had an army of men, and those three men had just themselves. I heard footsteps near me, and I assumed they were one of the men from the gym. 

"She's cute," It was not a man from the gym. "Your kid?" He squatted down and was looking at me. I immediately felt disgusting. "She's like a fawn, cute and quiet. Small and slightly timid." I observed him as he was two feet from me. He seemed to ignore the calls for him to get away or even the call of his name from his buddies. He was looking at me with an ulterior motive in mind, and that made me feel grimy. "What's your name?" I looked at Rio and Kei. They were busy arguing with this man's friends, so they couldn't make this one go away. "They're not watching; it would be a shame if something happened to you. Maybe the old man would care then?" He was menacing. I tried to back away, but he dragged me to my feet and called attention to him. Mr.Crawford's gaze was intense and terrifying. Rio and Kei both looked to me, making sure I was okay. The men held me in places I dislike. When I tried to get out of his grip, he tightened it and brought me closer to his body. The heat from his body felt disgusting. I only like being this close to my trusted few. 

"Let her go," Mr.Crawford's voice was deep and menacing. It sent chills through my body. The man started to touch my abdomen, making me try to break free from his grasp. He held tighter, and then I felt metal against my neck, making my movements still. "I'll listen to you three, just let her go." He panicked, meaning it's a knife, awesome. 

"I think it's beyond words now, geezer." The man pressed the blade harder against my skin; I felt like it would pierce my skin at any second. "She's rather cute; I'm sure she'd sell. Should we take her as compensation?" The man made me feel disgusting. I wanted to bathe in acid to get this disgusting touch off of me. "Her body type would settle well with the men we know." I closed my eyes, clenched my fists, and tried my best to stay still. When I felt him start to life, my shirt, instinct kicked in. I managed to disarm him, then make him hit the ground with a hard thud. Rage coursed through my veins as I looked down at the disgusting excuse of a man. Why does this always happen to me?!