Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

I throw my hands up into the air. “No wait.” I think of the one thing that will stop him. It pours out of my mouth. “I love you.” 

He hesitates, odd expression on his face before he scowls. “You’re saying that because you’re in pain.” He leaves, closing the door. My head burns as soon as the fresh scent of him is gone. I stand up and stumble to my closet. The vial. Shaking the liquid, I down it all in one gulp and let the potion that clings to the side of the glass drip into my mouth. It’s sugary sweet, like cough syrup and it goes down like honey, sticking to the sides of my throat. Swallowing multiple times, I wait until I get it all down. It’s too much of a risk to go without. I go into the bathroom and wash my face with cold water. This must be it. The twins are here.  

I feel like I’m walking through thick, thick, molasses as I put on a change of clothes. As I clean myself up in the bathroom, I avoid my own reflection. Swollen lips, yellow eyes, messy hair. I can already guess what I look like for myself. 

The window breaks and a stream of cold air floods the room. I whip my head around at the noise only to see two figures, dressed in long, dark robes step through. They take off their hoods and scan the room. I run to them, fear dripping away. “Nia! Iris!”

“Imani!”

I wrap my arms around each of them. I could weep, it’s been so long since I’ve seen their faces. “You came.”

Iris takes a hard look at me. “So the heat is as bad as our agent said it was? If not worse.”

“Yeah,” I mumble. “Worse.” 

“Come on, let’s get you out of here? Can you walk?”

“A little. It hurts. Not so bad now as it did, but I’m in pain.” Iris prods my side as if to test it and I wince. 

They half hoist me up as we run. My legs buckle and threaten to collapse under me as we run but we run. Through the syrupy molasses, through the fog, they carry me forward. Iris pulls out a necklace from her pocket. A fat, purple crystal hands from the silver chain, glittering. What’s that for?

“I’ll show you.” As a guard rounds the corner, magic shoots out of her finger, downing the man on sight.

 My eyes widen. “How did you...you make potions!”

“This sort of magic was banned when witches lost the great war to werewolves and came under their command. It made us too powerful.”

“And you’re accessing it now?”

“Of course.” 

Nia pulls out a similar amulet from her pocket and shakes it before speaking into it. “Bring the brooms out to our exit. Have it ready for a passenger.” She squeezes my hand. “It’s been a long time.” 

We cross through the grandhall where that party was held all those weeks ago. It’s empty now and hollow. In the distance the sound of magical blasts and werewolves’ snarls echo. “A little further. The door is going to be on your left-”

“Leaving so soon Imani? I thought you wanted to finish.”

I whip my head around. My heart beats a thousand times faster. I take a step forward, but Iris puts a hand on my shoulder and pulls me back. 

“Think Imani.”

A growl escapes my mouth. “Don’t you know how hard that is?” 

Jonah’s eyes are lit with anger and his face covered in a knowing, grim expression. If he expected this to come, why is he so angry? His emotions slam into me. Anger, burning hot, red anger and a slower burning desire. It’s enough to rattle me to core and I stumble, falling forward. He’s been keeping them from me for so long, why let them affect me now?