Fire

Ran's POV:

"No one wants to adopt you because you're a freak!" A boy laughed at me as he packed his bags.

He had just been adopted by a family. He had only been here for a month. I've been here for six years. I'm six already... and still without a family to call my own. I don't know why. What's wrong with me? Am I really a freak? Is that boy right?

"See ya, loser! Maybe eventually you'll find a family. Probably a really bad one, though." The boy chuckled as he left the room.

I sighed. No one liked me here. I was the longest stay they've ever had. I don't know why. I wish I did. I just want a family.

"Lunch time!" One of our caretakers called.

I got off my bed. I had been reading a book. I set the book down and then went to the dining room. I took my seat and waited for the food to be served.

It was a sandwich. They didn't feed us too much variety. Every meal was the same every day. Nothing ever changed. I'm really sick of this place. I want to leave. I really do.

After lunch, we were supposed to take a nap. This orphanage only took in young kids. Next year, I'd have to transfer to a different one because I'm that old.

I don't want to take a nap. But, I was forced to. I held my stuffed animal close as I cuddled him. It was a black dog. He was the only thing I owned. I had been given him for my first birthday and have never let go of him since.

"Ren, I told you you have to take a nap." A caretaker growled at me.

Oh yeah, my name... I always said if I got out, I'd change my name. I hate it a lot.

I looked up at the woman and then closed my eyes. I hate nap time. I'm old enough to not need it anymore. Hopefully next year they don't have nap time in the new building. I'm sick of this.

After a while, I dozed off. I never dreamed. Nothing ever was worth dreaming about. I've given up hope on finding a family. As much as I'd like one, I don't think I'll ever get one. I've been here for so long.

...

I woke to screaming. I jolted up. There were a lot of kids trying to open the locked door to the room. I started coughing. What's going on. I looked around the room.

Oh no... there's a fire!

It was at the other end of the room, but it was quickly growing. I jumped off my bed. I need to get out. But, how? The door is locked tight. There has to be another way out.

The window. Maybe the window will work. I ran over to the window. It was shut tight. Maybe I can break it open. I started punching it as hard as I could. It cracked. I kept going. It eventually broke.

The fire was almost at my feet. That means... no... my dog...

He's gone. Burned. I should've brought him with me. Tears started falling down my face. The one thing I cared about is gone.

The flames grew closer to me. It got one of my feet. I screamed in pain. The screams of the other kids got louder as the fire closed in on them as well. I jumped out the window before anymore of me got burned. It's too late to do anything. I have to go if I want to live.

I started running away from the house. I could smell the smoke a lot more now. I didn't look back. I kept going. I need to get out.

I ran into the woods. I don't know where I'm going. I just need to find someone who can help me. That's all I need. But, it's dark. I'm scared.

I kept running for a long time. I have no idea where I am. I was slowing down. My legs hurt too much to carry me. My burnt foot was definitely not helping me at all either. I tried to keep going. I haven't found anyone yet.

I managed to take a few more steps before I fell. I couldn't move anything. I was at my limit. I need to get up. It's dark and scary here. I need to get out. I need to find help.

No matter how hard I tried to convince my body of that, it wouldn't move. I couldn't even move my head. All I could do was breath. My eyelids were falling shut. I was tired.

If I sleep here, I'll die. An animal would find me. I can't sleep here. Please... respond to me... I need to move.

I couldn't do anything. Maybe I should've stayed. At least then I'd have died somewhere I knew. Now I'm all alone. No one will ever find me. I'm done for.

It wasn't long before I was in darkness. I wasn't able to keep my eyes open. Hopefully I'll die in my sleep.

"Aww... they got away!"

"I've told you, you need to be quiet. You gave yourself away."

Voices... there's people... if I could just... make a sound...

"Why are we even catching these guys?"

"Because they've been growing in population too quickly. As someone who is meant to keep these populations in check, I have to capture them."

"It's hard work. I don't think I'd ever do this as a job."

They're getting closer. Even if I can't make a sound, maybe they'll find me. Please... please find me...

"Keep at the drums and you'll make a name for yourself in the music world."

"Will do!"

No... they're getting farther away... I'm not gonna be found...

"Dad, I thought I heard something over there. Sounds like a scavenger."

I can hear it too. And feel it. It's sharp claws are digging into my back. It's going to kill me!

"Hey! Get away!"

The creature got off of me. They found me. I'm not gonna die.

"Is she dead?"

"No. She's still breathing. Looks like she was in a fire."

"What are we going to do with her?"

"Take her home. I'll patch her up. You can ask around if anyone lost a kid matching her description."

"Okay!"

I was picked up. Whoever this guy is, he seems nice. But, what will he do when he finds out I'm an orphan? Maybe I could lie? Tell him a different story so he'll take me in.

"Is she still awake?"

"I don't know. It doesn't seem like it."

I am awake. I'm just too weak to show you.

"Well, if you can hear me, don't worry. Dad and I will help you. I'm Tomoe. Until we find your parents, I'll be your sister!"

"You know she won't be staying long. Her parents are probably worried sick."

"But, what if we can't find anyone? What will you do if that happens?" Tomoe asked, a hint of worry in her voice.

"Then we'll raise her as one of us. I think she might be young enough that she'll only remember us and not her actual family."

"Ako is going to be really happy! She's always wanted another girl to play with!" Tomoe sounded excited. Is Ako her sister?

"Tomoe, think positively for her, not yourself. She wants to go home if she can."

No. I don't. Cause I don't have a home.

I wish I could tell him that. It seems I'll be a part of their family then. With that knowledge, I finally let myself fall asleep. I'm safe. I finally have a home. I just hope it lasts.