A short laugh left Rani before she clamped a hand over her mouth. "That's not funny." She scolded, concealing her smile.

  "Yeah, yeah. And I'll pretend I didn't hear you laugh." Jacob winked as he turned back to his work.

  Rani made her way over to where Lucy sat, watching the two kings from the side. A sense of responsibility had settled on Rani, not soon after Caspian had left the two girls alone. After all, they were the only two females on a ship full of men. She felt as though she should check in with Lucy before she began her rounds below.

  "Do you need anything your ma – Lucy?" She corrected quickly as she came to stand by her.

  "Oh, no I'm alright thank you." Lucy frowned as she spoke and Rani leant down in encouragement. It was obvious the she had something on her mind. "If – if we just keep sailing to the end of the world, do you think we'll just... tip off the edge?"

  The question was so out of the blue that Rani actually paused and mulled over it. Would you just tip off the edge? Or were the seas endless?

  "Don't worry, Lu." Edmund reassured his sister, joining the two of them as he came to lean against the railing. "We're a long way from there."

  Lucy nodded, the frown melting off of her face. The opening of the hatch caught Rani's eye and she half expected Jacob to jump out but it was only the freckled boy, Eustace, who emerged.

  "I see you're still talking nonsense, the two of you." His face was scrunched into a sneer, what she now assumed was his usual expression. It seemed as though his short rest had made him even grouchier.

  "Well," Rani muttered out quickly, "I have to do a sweep downstairs. Good luck." One minute listening to his nasally voice was enough for her.

  She heard the mutterings of 'thanks' from both Edmund and Lucy behind her and she couldn't help but feel sorry for the pair. They had to live with him every day and his moaning was endless, if Lucy's accounts were anything to go by.

  The change in temperature was apparent as she descended below. Rani smiled and welcomed the cool air gracefully, it was a nice change to the sweltering sun and sweaty bodies. Instead small rays of sun creeped through the cracks and a comfortable, restful silence settled in the hold. It was the most peace and quiet Rani had gotten since leaving Narnia. She really didn't have the patience to deal with Eustace's moaning just yet.

  The occasional shouts of orders could be heard through the wooden walls, but they were ever so quiet and muffled. She let her eyes flutter shut, if only for a moment, before opening them and setting to work. Her task was to ensure all supplies were accounted for and that they had enough food for the whole crew.

  Her mind wandered as she worked; flashes of her mother's kind smile and gentle hands seemed to appear. A soft pang of what she could only akin to as homesickness gripped her stomach. Rani wondered how she was doing back home, if she was still collecting the eggs every morning and counting the catch.

  Softly, as she worked, she began to hum one of her mother's favourite songs. Vivid images arose in the back of her mind as the song weaved it's tale. She could remember her mother's velvety, soothing voice as she swung a younger version of herself around, golden wisps of hair tumbling about her face and laughter lines etched in the corner of her mouth.

  The song was one she remembered well, for her mother had spun the tale so intricately, filled with magic and wonder. It spoke of hidden love and long forgotten promises. Of tall trees and a golden haired Prince and his devotion to his angel. Of a girl so pure, and her sorrow for her lost love. It was so beautifully melancholy and tragic all at once; a tale of life and loss.