III.

_____***_____

_____***_____

          THE CLANG OF SWORDS RANG OUT ACROSS THE DECK OF THE DAWN TREADER. A circle of men had gathered above and were stood watching the fight unfold eagerly, like starved animals awaiting their next meal. Hoots and shouts rang out, mingling together but Rani only paid heed to the two men amidst the centre of it all.

  Edmund and Caspian circled each other, arms tense and eyes focused. Their swords struck out like cobras, quick and with poise. It was quite beautiful actually. With the grace and allure of a dance, silver swords glittering beneath the sun.

  Rani felt herself tense every time Edmund took a swipe at Caspian, even though she knew that they would never actually hurt one another. It wasn't as though Rani didn't appreciate a well matched fight, she did, it was just watching Caspian duck and block made her heart leap into her throat.

  From where she sat, she could watch the fluidity in their movements as well as the faces of all the onlookers; her fellow crew mates. It wasn't often they got to watch a good fight.

  "Who do you think will win?" Jacob asked beside her. He was slumped against a barrel, eyes also trained on the fight.

  She glanced down at him and pondered on his question. "King Edmund."

  Seemingly startled by her response, Jacob looked up at her. "Not King Caspian?"

  "I did just say Edmund."

  Jacob glared at her and Rani couldn't help but snigger slightly.

  "But why? Clearly, King Caspian has the upper hand." Jacob protested, now gesturing profusely with his hands to the scene in front of them.

  Rani rolled her eyes at the man beside her. She decided not to go into why Edmund was more experienced, as she knew that Jacob already had his mind set on Caspian beating the other King.

  The bout went on for a few more minutes, with graceful twirls and well aimed jabs at one another. And then, in a flurry of movement so fast that Rani found it hard to follow with her eyes, they had each others swords pressed up against each others throats.
  By this time, both Caspian and Edmund were grinning like young boys, their chests heaving as they panted, breaths mingling.

  The crew around them cheered and clapped and even Rani felt her hands move of their own accord. It was an entertaining fight. Not many could match Caspian's swordsmanship.

  "Well, looks like we were both wrong." Jacob pointed out.

  Rani rolled her eyes and gently shoved his shoulder before jumping down off of her crate.

  "All right!" Drinian's booming voice drew all eyes to him. "Back to work!"

  Jacob groaned audibly and huffed. "It's like he enjoys squashing all of the joy from our lives."