𝐕∥parting of the sea.

i was a murderer

i was a murderer.

hyejoo rubbed her eyes, vision clearing for her to see that she had fallen asleep in the middle of the road. they had wasted yesterday doing nothing but talk, was what she thought.

i was a killer. i guess that does make me just like san. but here in the world of the dead...

i didn't want to kill anyone.

but for now, i have to focus on dealing with san.

"you're not looking too great," jungeun was seated a short distance away, leaning against an old van.

"there's something i want to try out with your weapon," hyejoo says, getting up and moving to the space next to jungeun on the ground.

"must have something to do with your dream," jungeun hands her the shotgun. "here you go."

hyejoo feels the rubber handle in her grip. it doesn't feel awkward holding the gun, at all. "woah," she jumps as the weapon vanishes from her hands a few seconds later.

"it came back to me," jungeun looked down at her waist, seeing her weapon strapped tight against her.

chaewon also sits down beside her. "it disappeared from your hands and reappeared back to jungeun," she said, awestruck. "like a magic trick or something."

"i think it's another rule they have here," jungeun suggests, handing chaewon her gun as well. the same thing happens again.

"so using this gun is a role reserved for you," hyejoo watches as chaewon kept taking the weapon from jungeun's waist over and over.

"if you don't mind chaewon, please stop taking my gun," jungeun finally says.

"hehe, sorry. it's just so cool how it disappears," chaewon sheepishly smiles.

"anyway, it must be some dream for you to have asked to try that first thing in the morning." jungeun looks at hyejoo as if asking for her to talk about it.

it would be best if i didn't tell jungeun that she was part of my dream, hyejoo thought. "i was on a street killing people," she confessed. "i don't know whether they were bad people or innocent, but i was shooting them. and i was good at it."

"which is why you wanted to test out my gun."

"i'm thinking i was a contract killer or something," she continued. "i must've had experience shooting a gun in the city or on the streets."

"good thing you admitted that to us," jungeun says. "but even if you were a murderer in the past, you're a comrade now. we need each other in order to make it out of here together."

"right, and we have to stop san," chaewon points out. "and we should probably-" she suddenly turns her head to another direction. "uh, jungeun..?"

it's the undead, but there are way more of them this time. the number of the creatures made it seem like they were in a zombie apocalypse movie.

"use your gun!" chaewon rushes her words and flinches back as jungeun shoots.

she takes them out shot after shot, but more of them seemed to keep coming. it didn't look right, almost like they were coming for her just to get killed.

"really looks like they'd rather die than be stuck here forever," hyejoo looks at the bodies scattered along the ground. "we definitely don't wanna end up like them."

"do you think we'll get eaten?" chaewon steps back, peering over jungeun's shoulder.

"stand aside if you're scared," hyejoo simply says.

"aren't you scared too, though?"

"a little, obviously, but we still have to find a way out of here. we don't know if jungeun's shotgun runs out of bullets." hyejoo spots a few bamboo poles, probably broken off from scaffolding, on the other side of the street. she runs to grab a bundle of the sticks, furls them into a thick bunch with her hands and starts beating the undead with them.

the zombies groan, and hyejoo could've sworn they were saying something along the lines of "kill me".

"i'll try and clear a path for us toward-" jungeun yells over the sound of her own gunfire. "wait what?" she lowers her gun as the horde of undead begin splitting into two sides on their own.

as she squints, hyejoo sees something in the middle of the swarm, moving closer and closer. "the fuck?"

"what an entrance, she's splitting the zombies like the red sea," chaewon murmurs. "i don't think i've ever seen her."

there stood the figure of a girl in a brown blouson jacket, in the middle of the mob of zombies.