Chapter 86. A New Side Of You

Byron's POV

My hands wouldn't stop sweating—does this normally happen to people? And it seems that my heartbeat wouldn't calm down. I don't understand why my body is reacting this way.

I already expected that this will happen. I knew I will eventually have to end things with her. Things were perfect, and when things are too perfect, they come undone. That's how it will always be.

The closer I get to her house, the more the dread grows. I have a strong urge to turn around and walk back to Tim's house or just skip the process and head over to my own house. But I have to do it. I won't go back on my word.

Imagining how she would react caused my stomach to twist and turn, so I stopped doing that since three houses ago. I didn't know I could feel this physically sick from an emotional cause. I realize there are a lot of things I forgot about being human.

The upsides and downsides of being human, I guess.

Her house has already entered my field of vision and I feel my stomach knotting as I see light filtering through the windows which means she is currently at home and I have no means of avoidable the inevitable tonight.

Dealing with people used to be so much easier . . .

As tense as I was, I made it all the way to her front door without much problem. My fingers found their way to the doorbell but it took me several seconds to press it. The familiar, overused sound of the doorbell rang like a foreboding tune, and immediately, there was shuffling and footsteps nearing.

It didn't take long for the door to creak slightly open, with half of her face peaking out cautiously, but as soon as she caught my eye, her face warped into an ear to ear grin as the door slammed all the way open with a thud as it hit the wall. Always so full of energy and life. Maybe that was what drew me in.

"Byron!" She beamed and flapped her arm as a gesture for me to walk inside, "I didn't think you'd miss me so soon!" She joked and she looked proud of it as she closed the door behind us. She looked really happy to see me, but I can't bring myself to return even half of the emotion because of the reason that brought me here in the first place.

I stood awkwardly in the center of the living room, not knowing how to approach the situation. All I could do was turn around to face her. She is wearing sweats and a plain shirt which could mean that she was about to retire for the night, it was getting late after all. She still had a smile on her face, but her eyes began to search my face, curiosity and unease lingering in them. When I didn't smile back or react in any sort of way, her face falters, "Is something wrong?" She asked in a quiet tone, the opposite of how she normally is.

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I exhaled deeply at her questions and my gaze fell on the floor. It took a while, but she waited patiently for my response, "We need to talk about something." My voice was low and lacked warmth, which was not how I wanted to sound.

Any sort of positive feeling left her as her face dropped. It's almost like she's expecting something like this. She blankly walked over to the far edge of the couch and sat down, "What is it?" She puts on a brave look and pats the spot beside her.

I complied and sat down, my body slightly twisted so I could at least face her. "I . . . W-We . . ." I suddenly couldn't form any words, although, I hadn't completely rehearsed this scenario, and even if I did, my mind can't seem to remember.

Joy gave out an exasperated sigh, her eyes narrowed and dark, "Just say it, Byron. Say it straight."

I blinked, unsure of what to make with her instant change of demeanor, but nevertheless, spoke up, "I'm breaking up with you." The words seemed to echo in the living room and then everything was silent.