Chapter 13: Runaway

Start from the beginning

Information on Sigrid and her plans for people with Moonchild Syndrome is a benefit for us. If we know what she's planning, then maybe we can find a way to cure me and others of this, if there is a cure. I know Moonchild has helped me through a lot. She was able to pull out answers from my own mind that I never would have. She knows how to pull out deep-rooted memories, see small signs, find hidden details. She has her own personality within me, but she's not good for me.

The dependent state we have for each other isn't healthy, and having her in my head only adds to the stress I face with visions and dreams and the accelerated healings. It's only a matter of time before people find out about my healing, and my visions. They all found out about Moonchild, so what's to say they won't find out about this?

I want to keep them from knowing this until I have no other choice but to reveal my secrets. It's hypocritcal, yes, especially with how I felt after learning who Peter was, but I don't want to be seen as more of a freak than I already am. If getting Moonchild out of my head can make me seem more human again, then I'll gladly do whatever it takes. It's even more of a bonus if doing this will destroy what Sigrid's been working on.

Paula and I reach the track, running along side it. We're just a few minutes away from the train station, where our train is waiting. We don't slow down. We cannot be seen entering while the train is still. There are guards watching, checking everyone to make sure they are who they say they are. The station is on Sigrid's side, meaning even though the train runs along our border, it is hers, and only her people are permitted to be on it.

"All aboard!"

The shout rings into the cool air, and the train whistle blows as the wheels begin to turn on the track. Paula and I both push ourselves to run faster, feet pounding into the hard ground.

"Alright, the train's starting off slow, and it'll stay slow as it goes around this bend. We have to hurry so we can jump onto the viewing platform at the back," Paula says, her breathing unsteady. "I love these old 1960s trains, don't you? I think Sigrid found them easy to convert to multiple fuel sources. They're just elegant."

Steve hums. "Yeah. I bet that baby has a sleeping car."

"I bet it had a smoking car."

"I bet it has a jellybean dispenser," Sam murmurs, going silent for a second while I suppress a giggle. "What? Right. Five and Twenty-three, run now and grab onto the back of that train."

Panting and sweating, I push myself just a bit more, my legs burning as I jump onto the viewing platform. I hold out my hand to Paula, and she jumps, grabbing onto my forearm that's slick with sweat. She's careful not the claw me, and I make sure not to nick her with my nails. She's still part zombie. Even with my immortality, we cannot be too careful.

"Great!" Sam praises. "Now there should be someone waiting for you in the last carriage."

We slide the door open, heading down to the last carriage as told. When we open the door, a familiar blonde turns toward us me smile smiles fondly. Her eyes have not lost any light, even after all these months.

"Dr. Cohen, Runner Five, it is so good to see your faces."

"Kefilwe," I sigh, grabbing her hand, still panting and not wanting to hug her because I know I probably already smell. "It's good to see you too. How are you? Keeping well?"

She shrugs. "Oh, as well as can be expected. I am here under false papers, and no one looks too closely at the papers of a doctor in a hospital anyway."

"Don't you want to get out?" I frown.

She shrugs again, her hand going to her earpiece. "These people need me. I'm tuning into your frequency now. Sam, do you read me?"