3:Homeless

By the time I pry my eyelids open the sun is streaming through the window making it too bright. I need to find food. The gaping hole feeling in my stomach keeps reminding me of the empty space in my belly.

While I'm getting dressed in a different shirt and a baggy black sweatshirt older than this building I think about how I'm going to get food. I have only a few dollars left, and I can't exactly get a job with out being noticed. So that brings me to the hard truth.

Dumpster diving is going to be my new friend. I will probably look at fast food places first that need to get rid of their food from the day before, and bakeries. And for water I'll go to the community center.

Or once in a while I will hit up the homeless shelters when I need to. Not often enough for them to know me, but frequent enough to get what I need to live.

I've got this. I'll be okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TWO MONTHS LATER

It's amazing what a person will do for food. Soup kitchens are a nightmare since everyone pushes and shoves to make sure they get something to eat before they run out. The beds at the homeless shelters go even faster than the food, and it's a battle of the fittest for a place to sleep in there.

I only tried that once when the weather was bad and I didn't know if I could get back to the old factory. I almost lost a hand over that, and now I have a ridgid scar running across the top side of my wrist from where the guy cut me.

I had it stitched up by another sketchy person I had befriended named Chips. He said the best thing to do was find a place to sleep that was my own and dry enough to keep warm. He was an ex-marine and now he lives on the streets.

"Hey Nyx! Where ya goin?" A fimilure voice yells from behind me.

Turning I find Three. The girl who got me into how I'm making my money.

"Places." I answer giving the same one word response as I always do.

She shrugs it off and runs up to my side.

"After work there is this place I want to go to, but I don't want to go by myself... Wanna come with me?"

I shrug. "Depends."

"It's not on the other side of town... It's here on the south side, and it's gonna be fun!"

I nod.

"I'll come." I mutter as we walk towards club Bullet.

A little strip club that Three and I work at. Probably not the best place to work at but I get money enough that I don't have to dumpster dive.

"Great!" She says bouncing along the ally beside me.

We go in through the back door for employees only to go down the hall and into the changing room. Both of us take a quick shower before getting dressed. Tonight I have to wear a black corset, fishnet stockings, and red silk underwear along with six inch stilettos.

After doing a few test walks the length of the room to get used to the height I'm ready to clock in and get my shift going. I have the day shift this week so it's pretty laid back aside from the weird guys who come here on business meetings.

"Hey Nyx." York says from behind the bar as I join her.

I don't strip on the stage. I work behind the bar and sometimes I deliver drinks.

"York." I nod to her taking her place.

"See you later kid. Stay safe. Don't slip and say something." She winks at me walking towards the back rooms as I go to the register.

"I need two bottles of scotch and six glasses." Nina another one of the girls orders.

I ask what brand of scotch before grabbing the bottles and glasses and setting them on the tray she has.

"Thanks." She says before walking away.

Most of the girls here are in situations like mine. They just need the job for money, and not for the fact that they like wearing skimpy clothes and sometimes no clothes.

Our boss Tosh doesn't make any of us go one stage. He says we need to make that desicion for ourselves since that's where the best tips are from. I don't need money that much to take my clothes off in front of a bunch of creepy men.

I continue to fill orders and earn some tips here and there from a few men who are old enough to be my grandpa. One of the dudes was a regular and I know he likes me a little more than I'm comfortable with.

When the night shift comes around to fill in my spot I gladly get out of the feet killing heels and head towards the back room again.

"You still goin with me?" Three asks smiling at me.

"Oh, yeah." I mutter remembering I had promised her I would go where we are going.

"Great you are gonna love it." I nod slowly stepping out of my shoes and getting dressed in more comfortable clothes.

Twenty minutes later after I had to wait on Three to get done chatting we make it out of the club.

"Where are we going?" I ask quietly as we go down fimilure roads.

"Bridge." She says smiling.

Great... A motorcycle club ran event. How fun. I can't back out how even though I rather, than have to go stand among a bunch of bikers and street kids.

"You ever heard of it?" Three asks as we get closer to our destination.

I jerk my head in a nod not telling her I'm real fimilure with it.

"Maybe next week you can come with me to the one across the tracks." I clench my jaw and shake my head.

"Naw I don't like dealing with the northerners." I say simply.

"Oh it won't be that bad." She prompts.

"Naw... I'd get Nina to go with you maybe."