58-A Child's Dream

(Three years later)

I took a drink of beer and laughed, Twice kept talking and contradicting himself, getting confused. He had been trying to tell a story that had happened a couple days ago and spoke even when he wasn't making sense.

"Haha, wait," Dabi chuckled before he turned to me. "Since you're eighteen now, what are you gonna do?!," he changed the subject to me, which made Twice pout and drink more alcohol.

We've all had several drinks already.

"Heh, what do you mean??? Turning eighteen is boring! Stuff becomes legal, so what?! I've been doing illegal shit since I was fourteen! Not even in high school yet!"

"I don't know! You're technically an adult now soooo..."

"Dabi! Did you even do anything interesting on your eighteenth birthday?! Hah, you're what, forty now? I bet you don't even reme-"

"Shut up, Toga!"

I slammed my beverage on the counter and coughed while laughing.

"Stop laughing, I'm not that old! Shigaraki's even older than I am!"

"Hey don't bring me into this!," he shouted across the room. "And bullshit 'I'm older', I'm twenty-four! Damn thirty-year-old dumbass!"

"Hey!" Toga, Twice and I were in a laughing fit again as Dabi gasped dramatically.

"I'm gonna go back to my room now guys," I laughed, taking one last drink of the brown bottle and pushed myself from the bar. I walked passed them all on wobbly legs as they uttered random half-drunken words and I went into my room, being sure to close the door behind me.

My eyes fell closed as I leaned my head and back against the wood. I saw on my clock that it was nearly two a.m. and my head was starting to hurt , I'm gonna have a hangover in the morning. I just stood there for a moment, listening to the chatter in the bar. A small chime went off; opening my eyes, I saw my room dimly illuminated by a white light. My phone.

I stepped over to my bed and pushed off my shoes before taking the device from the wrinkled comforter. I tilted my head as I looked at the most recent notification.

Missed call and voicemail from: Dad

Why did dad just call me..? I clicked on the voicemail and held the device to my ear, listening intently with a slightly confused expression.

"Hey, uh, Izuku.." he coughed a little bit. "Shit, I know we haven't talked in years but," he paused then coughed, "but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry.." There were noises in the background that I couldn't quite make out. 

"Why now.." I muttered without thinking.

"I don't remember all that was said the night you left for good,.. but I think you blamed me for what happened to Ayuka and Kana, hell, even your mom.. I blamed me too, but this is me saying sorry for all that, and everything that happened after.. Izuku-" there was a loud crash that made my eyes widen. He muttered some curses then began coughing. "Listen, I'm stuck. I'm trapped under a building right now.. and I don't think I'm gonna be able to get out... just- I love ya, kid.... Bye."

The device clicked before falling from my ear and I sat on the edge of the mattress with wet eyes. I shook my head and wiped at my eyes. "He didn't love me.," I told myself quickly.

But I've thought about him before, a few times over the years. He wasn't ever the best with me after momma died, not even good really. But I know he was hurting just as much, if not more, than I was. Shit, I wiped my face again, he's gonna get himself killed? And for what? The people are all corrupted, they're not gonna be grateful for any sacrifice he's going to make.