Guardian of the Heart: Part Eight

Dante stepped from the shadow with Vince close at his heels. Both men were armed.

“They have guns,” Rhea breathed.

Christian, still facing her, let his eyes fall to his belt. So do I, he mouthed. His hand, ever so slowly, began to inch towards the weapon.

“I don’t think so, Chris. Hands on your head.”

“Should I get the bitch?” Vince asked, taking a step towards Rhea.

Dante held a hand up to stop him. “Not just yet…” He nodded towards Chris. “We’ll deal with this first.”

Christian, hands up, took the smallest possible step near Rhea. “Logan has a plan,” he breathed, the words having no chance of reaching the Italians. He began to turn around, but jerked to a halt. His face changed, his dark eyes fading to blue and filling with passion and determination. “Whatever happens, sweetheart, don’t get involved.”

“Logan…?”

Chris’ dark eyes returned. He turned on his heel, squaring off against the two men without the faintest bit of protection. Rhea thought of the knife lying within the tree and swore internally.

“Rushing to save her because Logan can’t? How noble, Christian.” Dante came closer.

Chris took a step forward, placing himself more forcefully between Rhea and those who threatened her. “Some of us know the meaning of loyalty.” He took another step, his sharp eyes flicking to Vince as the man mirrored his movement. His lips twitching into his cocky smirk, he turned quickly back to Dante. “I’m not as forgiving as Logan was, Dante. I’m going to kill you for what you did to him. I’m going to watch you bleed out, and I’m going to enjoy it.”

“Is that so?” Dante closed the gap between them in one long stride, turned his gun around and slammed the butt hard into Christian’s core.

Chris doubled over, coughing out a hoarse laugh. “That all you got, you son of a bitch?”

Dante smirked. “You want more?” He hit him again, slamming the gun into Chris' jaw. “Got a pair, have you?” And again. ”Want a beating before she watches you die?” He pulled his hand back, preparing for yet another blow-

Vince sprang forward, his hands clasping around Dante’s.

“VINCE! What the hell are you doing!?”

Vince’s knee came up hard, taking Dante’s legs out from under him. He hit the ground with a sickening thud, his gun flying free of his grip and landing several feet away. His fist landed hard against the side of Dante’s head. “Miss me?” Logan’s voice asked, flowing unnaturally over Vince’s lips.

“Took you long enough!” Chris spat, wiping blood from the corner of his mouth.