Chapter 03: Lake if Lost Souls

Chapter Three: Lake of Lost Souls

“What? What do you mean you can't sense Crona's soul wavelength?” came the voice of the white haired weapon, causing his cream haired meister to look at him with worry in her emerald eyes. “Like I said, I can't sense Crona's soul wavelength anymore” she admitted lowering her head in seeming defeat. “I can't explain it, one moment I could sense it, the next it was gone completely”. Death the Kid grimaced and grabbed her shoulders “What?! That can't be, try again!” Kid snapped his hands trembled as he shook her. “Hey Kid calm down” Soul snapped seizing Kid's arm. Kid glared at Soul darkly “you know as well as I do that Maka's the only one of us that can track any soul wave lengths” Kid lectured, before tearing his arm out of the other boy's grasp. “Okay, well would it kill you to chill out for a second?” Soul asked before glancing at Maka and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Maka” he stated causing her to look up him 'I don't understand, why can't I detect Crona's soul wavelength?' she thought to herself as she looked up at Soul, and blinked seeing a sympathetic tone in the boy's crimson red spheres.

“We're gonna find him Maka, I'm sure there's a perfectly logical explanation for why you suddenly can't sense his wavelength” Soul told her, attempting to reason with her. The young scythe Meister looked at him, the expression in her eyes getting weak “m, maybe you're right” she admitted, trying to think of what they could do. “Maybe Professor Stein might be able to help us figure this out” She wondered aloud. “After all” she began, before looking up at the others “he is the best student the academy has ever had, so if anyone knew how to explain how Crona's wavelength, could just disappear like that, it'd be the professor, let's go you guys” she told Soul before she began running back towards Death City. “Black Star, Kid, c'mon let's go to Professor Stein's, and find out what's going on” Soul told them to which the assassin blinked looking over, before joining Soul in running after Maka.

“What? Is the fight over already? How lame, I wanted to show those guys, what a great star I am” Black star griped before running after Maka and Soul. “Kid? We should follow them” he heard Liz's voice, but Kid didn't move. 'It doesn't make sense, how could Crona's soul wavelength simply disappear? Could the witch that was after him, actually succeed in killing him? No, no, that can't be, Crona is stronger than that, there has to be an explanation to this' he thought as he soon glanced towards the direction the witch and wolf had run off in. “Kid c'mon, we need to go meet up with the others” he heard Liz lecture, before he called forth his special skateboard, and hopped on it eyes dimming. 'The witch that ran from us, she said there was a second witch after Crona, and they came from that direction, perhaps they know more then they've told us already, oh well, only one way to find out for sure' he thought to himself before starting the skateboard up, as he proceeded to take off in the direction, that Eruka and Free Wolf had headed in.

“Wait, Kid, hey, what're you doing?! You're going the wrong way!” Liz snapped “the witch that we ran into went in this direction, so if I head this way, I may run into the witch that was with Crona, and force her to tell me what happened to him” Kid replied stoically. He kept heading swiftly in the direction that he'd seen the blue haired witch retreat towards, in what felt like moments the young reaper ended up catching sight of them. He then raised the duel pistols before shooting the nearby trees, startling the witch and the wolf man, causing them to stop running, and looked at him. The dark haired reaper flew over to where he was a few feet from them before he landed, keeping his guns trained on them, with a dark scowl on his features.

“What are you doing?” Eruka snapped “Shut up witch!” he began, as his eyes dimmed more. “I'm the one asking the questions here” he finished. “Eruka, let's pummel this brat and get as far away from here as we can, before she finds us” Free Wolf told her. “Just a couple quick questions, and I'll leave you two alone” Kid stated flatly. Free Wolf snarled and got into a defensive stance, but Eruka raised an arm to stop the wolf man, an emotionless glare on her face. “What do you want to know?” she spoke flatly “Eruka, what're you doing?!” Free Wolf demanded. “Stay out of this Free, this is between me and him” she ordered, before looking up at Death the Kid. “So tell me witch” he began “the name's Eruka” she interrupted “the least you could do is give me the decency of calling me by my name” she told him.