Chapter Eight

Lily's POV
~
I began to suffocate as I woke up from my coma.
The doctors and nurses hooked me onto breathing machines, and checked my vitals.
I wasn't sure where I was, and my breathing completely stopped. The world before me began to fade once more, as it has done for the past two hours.
But this time, I began to breathe steadily once my vision was gone.
I could not see, but I could control myself.
One nurse was ordered to stick around for the visitor.
"Amber?" I perked up, but still lacked enough strength to stay that way.
"Lily, do you need anything before the visitor come in?" She asked, fixing my sheets.
"Amber. Please. Let her in. Now." I asked.
"She's not here." The nurse answered.
My heart sank.
"But a girl named Ruby is."
What?
"She is really anxious to see you." The nurse stated, checking my pulse.
"Okay." I said, unsure about the situation.
The nurse grabbed the bed remote and made it prop me up.
I heard a door shut.
"Lily...." Ruby bit her lip, trying to hold back tears.
I just blinked at her.
"I am so... So...so sorry!" She began to sob.
"I never knew... Never knew anything like this could happen!" She cried.
I lay there, looking into her blue eyes, filled with sad, depressing sights.
"Ruby..." I swallowed, and reached for her hand.
"I forgive you."
Ruby shed more tears, her eyes becoming puffy, her cheeks flushed.
"Amber couldn't come... Once the story was out." She slowly stated.
"Like a news story?" I asked.
Ruby nodded, and took out her phone.
"Watch this. I'm so so sorry for your loss." She grabbed a tissue and wiped her eyes.
I wasn't sure what she meant, but I clicked the play button.
"Today's top story involves a suicidal girl running into a highway. That's not all, though. She ran into her own mother's car." The news director said. "Off to you, David"
"Lily Kroger ran out onto the highway a few afternoons ago. Surprisingly, in front of her mother's vehicle. Lily is in Thodire Emergency Center right now, accepting visitors when she is in good condition. Lily's injuries consisted of two broken ribs, injured spleen, and the amputation of one leg. She is okay, though. As for her mother, dead." David shared in a grave voice.
I stopped the video, threw off my sheets, and revealed one missing leg.
Memories floated back. I remember running into my mom's car and realizing it at the last second. I remember hearing the voice of a nurse say my mom's dead. It's all real. All real to me.
The nurses rushed in at the sound of my machine beeping. Ruby was carried out, Amber wasn't coming.
Why didn't I die?