I grabbed her hand from my mouth before smiling. "It's the truth." This time, she didn't pull back. She let me hold her hand as our gaze locked.. reminding me of the old days.

Then, the door opened.

We both quickly slid back from one another and I faced the soundboard, feigning as if I was messing around with a beat.

"So I got this good ass soul food from a place I know, and I got something for you too baby." I looked over my shoulder just as Sean leaned down to press a kiss to Jhené's lips. I sighed softly and looked back ahead of me. "What song did you show her?"

"On the way." She replied quickly.

Sean smiled and sat besides his.. girlfriend as he started talking animatedly about the song. "Yeah bro, basically it's about this guy and his girl.."

My focus slowly drained as I nodded along, my eyes on Jhené. And just like that, I could feel my eyes clouding as my mind swarmed with past memories. Especially.. one in particular.

2011, age sixteen

"Y/n." I looked up as my mom stood at the doorway of my new room. "How you feeling?"

"Good I guess. The time zones still a little off for me." I responded as I stretched my back. "And there's a lot of helicopters here.. is that normal?"

She simply smiled and walked in, taking a seat at the end of my bed. "Yeah this neighborhood isn't the best but it's the best I can do for you and your brothers right now." I nodded in understanding as I looked over at my still unpacked boxes. "But, It'll be good. As long as you don't get in with the wrong people, it won't be too bad living in Long Beach."

"Yeah I know." She grabbed my chin and placed a soft kiss on my forehead before pulling me into a hug.

"I know it's not under the greatest circumstances but.. I'm glad you and the boys could come out here. I missed you guys a lot."

"I missed you too mom." I responded as I rubbed her back. After a few seconds of silence, I pulled back with a hopeful gaze. "But uhm.. Maru invited me to this party. Can I go?"

Her eyes turned to slits as she shifted back. "Where is it?"

"Bixpy Knolls, the richer part of Long Beach." We both looked up as Maru stood at the door with a charming smile. "I'll bring little Hikaru back in one piece... don't worry Mom."

"Don't call me that." I said with a huff as I stood up.

"Fine but you guys better stay safe. No drinking and driving, no pregnancies." I snorted as grabbed a blue pullover to which she quickly shook her head to. "Not a chance." I gave her a looked as she grabbed it and shook her head, tossing it back into the box. "Steer clear of solid red or blue clothing at night, okay?"

"Why?" I questioned, not understanding the meaning of a color being bad.

She sighed and shook her head. "Just don't. Go black." I grabbed a black pullover with a shrug before following Maru out of the house. "Be safe!"

"Can I come?" I heard Kai say as we walked to the door. Simultaneously we both said, "No." and closed the door.

"First American party, you ready?" Maru said with a wink, us both getting into his black Camaro.

"I think so. Is it much different from Japan?" He smirked and chuckled, the car starting. I took that as my answer.

-

And.. that answer was correct. It was wayyy difference. One, we never had parties at our end home back in Tokyo for there being a lack of privacy. Nor did people outwardly walk around with alcohol like it was orange juice.