• 13. lost my mind •

• JUNE •

Nebula grunted, immediately holding her hands out in a defensive position a second after Mr

Nebula grunted, immediately holding her hands out in a defensive position a second after Mr. Stark hit the small triangular piece of paper towards her. Mr. Stark jerked back, pointing at Nebula.

"You don't need to do that. Because, uh, you're just holding the position," Mr. Stark explained.

I took long strides, finding the shiny paper. I plucked it off the ground and handed it to Nebula.

She held it in between he pointer finger and the table, as we taught her. Nebula made a soft grunt as she flicked it towards Mr. Stark, who had his hands as a make-shift goal.

"That was close," I said, voice slightly hoarse.

Nebula continued to retrieve and flick the small thing, until, finally, it when in between Mr. Stark's arms.

"That's a goal," he told her. "We are now one apiece."

"I would like to try again," Nebula said.

The two remained playing their game. I remained watching. It came down to the last straw. They were both tied. In the last shot, Nebula won.

"You've won," Mr. Stark told her. "Congratulations. Fair game. Good sport. You have fun?"

Nebula nodded softly. "It was fun."

The cracked screen of my watch lit up, illuminating my otherwise dark room. I screamed internally as it beeped loudly.

With a groan, I sat up, unable to sleep. From the small shelf to my right, I grabbed the small orange pill container. Once opened, I held out my hand and shook the bottle gently to set two pills into my hand.

Except, none came out.

"No," I muttered to myself. "No, no, no!"

I shot out of my room, the bottle clutched tightly in my hands, towards Mr. Stark's room. I knocked, hearing a weak 'Come in' before I stomped my way inside.

Mr. Stark gestured for me to sit next to him. "What's up, kiddo?"

"M-my pills," I stammered. "I'm out. I-it's gonna come back. That—the voice."

Mr. Stark sighed. "It won't even matter, kid."

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

Mr. Stark let out a quiet sigh. He ran a shaky hand through his now greying hair as he spoke, "Look, kid. I didn't want to tell you at first, but I think it's only right that I let you know. It's our...22nd day here, right?"

I nodded.

"The fuel cells of the ship were cracked during battle and Nebula and I figured out a way to reverse the ion charge. We've bought ourselves about 48 hours of flight time. The oxygen is running out."

"Wait—so you're saying we're going to die?" I questioned. "But—that means I'll never see MJ or Ned again. And I'll never get to go to the fair again. I'll never see Paris, and I'll never graduate from college. And...I'll never see Peter again."

My voice cracked at Peter. Even at the sound of his name I teared up, my heart aching.

"I'm sorry, kid," Mr. Stark whispered. He engulfed me in a hug, squeezing me so tight my sobs were almost inaudible.

It all came back to me so quickly.

The way Peter looked into my eyes, fear so evident it was almost sad at how much you could tell. He was so scared. His voice was shaky as he said it to me. He continuously said it.

I'm sorry.

I don't wanna go.

His voice rung in my head.

The way he stared deeply into my eyes as he said it to me. He knew he was dying. He knew he was gone before it even happened. The way I screamed his name. The way his body turned to dust right before my eyes.

I squeezed my eyes shut in pain. In shame. It's all my fault he's gone.

If I would've convinced him to stay on the ground. If I would've not gotten involved at all, he'd still be alive.

Slowly, slowly, Mr. Stark became immobile in my arms, his body limp as I slowly set him on the ground.

Not a second later, Nebula stepped in. She slowly hooked her arm under Mr. Stark's, hailing him up and propping him onto the pilot's seat.

With an exhausted sigh, I slumped down into the seat beside him.

I shut my eyes, the thought of death floating in my mind. But before I could even begin to drift off, a bright, yellow light, sparkled outside the window.

I stared in awe. It almost blinded me, causing me to shield my eyes with my hands as a visor.

The light ever so slowly began to dim, until a woman in a black, red, and gold suit with shoulder-length blonde hair appeared. She gave me a reassuring smile.

It almost made me smile.

woo! here comes Endgame.

hahaha i lowkey cried while making this chapter lol.

-maya