❸✪

❸✪

Marisol carelessly held the remote in her hand, pointing it up to the television as she flipped through the channels.

"No, no, God no," she mumbled to herself, not interested in anything she was finding. Paolo walked over to the other side of the counter.

He placed his elbows on the wood, looking over at the girl, "Where's Athena?"

Marisol shrugged, stopping at Keeping Up with the Kardashians and set the remote down, "Don't know and don't care."

Paolo sensed the girl's hostility, deciding it was best to just leave it at that. He walked away, beginning to greet the usual customers who came in while Marisol's eyes remained glued on the television.

A few minutes had passed when Marisol watched her sister walk through the door, setting off the bells above.
Monse stormed over to the counter, slamming her backpack down.

"I'm guessing school sucked today," Marisol sarcastically remarked as Monse came over to her side, taking a seat.

"Ruby and Jamal are being assholes," the young teenager crossed her arms over her chest.

Marisol glanced away from the television, turning around towards her, "What'd they do?"

"They keep saying shit like Cesar's dead." As a customer came up, ready to be rung up, Marisol went back.

"Well, they did find Chivo's car on 21st, isn't that Prophets territory?"

"Yeah but, he wasn't inside."

Marisol began to scan the items, carefully placing them into a plastic bag, "Was there anything in dad's car?"

Monse shrugged her shoulders, "Well, I've been leaving it unlocked and every morning it's still unlocked."

"So," Marisol's eyebrows rose.

"So," Monse repeated, "If he was there, he would never leave it unlocked. Have you talked to Oscar?" Marisol shook her head, handing the customer the bag before taking the money.

"You know I haven't," Marisol opened up the register, giving the customer their change. She smiled goodbye as they left the store, resuming the conversation. "Even when I did, he didn't really seem too forgiving."

Marisol watched Monse's face fall at the news, wishing she could do more to help the situation. Monse let out a deep breath, "I'm just worried about him. He hasn't been answering my texts or calls and the guys are saying a bunch of stuff. Oh, and now dad's talking about sending me away."

"Wait, what?" Marisol questioned.

Monse nodded, "Some all girls boarding school in New Hampshire."

"What the fuck, are you going?"

"Hell no," the young girl shook her head, "I can't leave Cesar."

Marisol gave her sister a look, her voice low, "I don't know, maybe you should stop worrying about Cesar and start thinking about other things."

Monse glared back at Marisol, "Now you sound like dad."

"Maybe dad's right," Marisol shrugged, not wanting to admit it, "You've been rolled up on twice now, I don't think Freeridge is safe for you."

"Freeridge has never been safe! Our granddad was a Prophet, dad was technically raised by Prophets!"

"The Prophets back then are way different from Prophets now," Marisol reminded, thinking back to her conversation with Chivo, "You shouldn't spend all of your time helping Cesar escape from a problem he can't run from."

"What happened to you?" Monse bitterly asked, her eyes narrowing, "Before you were all for helping Cesar, now you don't even care."

"Are you forgetting I was in the same exact situation as you when I was your age? It's fine to care, Monse and try your best to help," Marisol shook her head, "but when it comes to your safety, that's when it doesn't become our business anymore."

Monse rose from her seat, snatching her backpack off of the counter. She rudely pushed past her sister, heading towards the door, "Whatever."

sorry this chapter was so short but ill be updating more tonight and tomorrow! btw if you're here from my other oscar diaz fanfiction, sativa, thank you all so much for the reads sativa is literally at more than half a million reads and i never thought it would become that popular when i first wrote it, as of right now it is one of the most read on my block fanfics and it makes me so happy!!! happy holidays!!