❺

"My arms are in so much pain,"

Athena groaned as she pulled out her house keys from her purse, her arms more sore than they've ever been.

"I had to wash those fucking windows over and over until it was 'the perfect shine,'" Athena mocked Paulo's hispanic accent and his dramatic hand movements.

Marisol chuckled as she walked the girl to her door, "Stop being late then."

"Whatever," Athena made a face to her cousin before she nodded to the house across the street, "Your boy's staring at you."

Marisol made a disgusted noise, looking over her shoulder to see what Athena was talking about. On the other side of the road stood Oscar, Ruby by his side, as they grilled on the front lawn. The girls both watched as Ruby began waving and blowing kisses until Oscar noticed, nudging him in his good arm.

They laughed it off, returning to their conversation.

Athena began looking for the key to her house on her keychain, "You still haven't heard from Travis?" She questioned, making Marisol shake her head.

"Nah, I've kind of just accepted that it's over."

When she found the right one, she put it inside of the lock, turning her hand to the left. "But you guys have been together for like, a year," Athena pointed out, holding the door open for Marisol, "my longest relationship was in the sixth grade and it lasted one whole week."

Marisol closed the door behind her as they entered the house, "Okay, that needs to change like, now."

After Marisol pulled into the driveway, the brunette made sure to lock her car doors before heading inside. As she reached for the house key underneath the mat, Marisol looked over her shoulder to make sure no one was watching her.

Before turning back, a shadow inside of her father's car grabbed her attention.

"What the hell?" The girl whispered to herself, predialing the police on her phone as she approached the vehicle. Marisol took small steps as she neared towards the car, having her phone ready in her hand. Her breathing returned to normal when she finally caught sight of who was in the car.

Inside, was Cesar sound asleep, covered in makeshift blankets from her house. The girl sighed, shaking her head at the sight before going inside. When she walked in, Monse was in the kitchen, making herself a late night snack.

Monse caught a glimpse of her sister as she took her food out of the microwave. "Hey," she greeted.

"Hey," Marisol replied back, double locking the door She gestured to their father's car parked out front, "Do you want to explain why Cesar is camped outside right now?"

"Dad found out I was letting him stay here but he never said anything about him staying in the car," the teenager explained, before taking a bite of her Hot Pocket.

Marisol slowly nodded her head, not really caring to tell her sister how that idea had multiple problems.

Marisol stripped off her jacket, "Well, just make sure the evidence is gone by the time Dad gets back."

With the holidays being over and the kids being back in school, business at the store became slow this time of year.

The girls mostly spent their time on their phones and talking while Paolo watched his telenovelas. Marisol mindlessly scrolled through her phone as a text from her sister came on her screen.

iMessage
👯‍♀️❤️
Today 12:32 PM

i have news

are you in class rn? lol

study hall actually
julia messaged me back!

who?

julia...the woman who might be our mother....

oh
idc.

well you should
she asked me to consult for the book she's writing
she needs "teenage advice"

like i said, i dont care
i don't even get why
you're texting this woman
it's not mom
even if she is, i want nothing to do with her
and does she know your name's
not laura diaz yet?

why are you so negative about this

because nothing
positive is going to come from it
bye monse