❷

Marisol parked where she usually did outaide of Athena's house. She texted the girl five minutes ago that she had arrived but it was normal for Athena to take a while getting ready, even if the function was small. Marisol scrolled through her social media, patiently until she saw the girl exited the house. She chuckled to herself when she noticed the girl struggling to walk in her heels.

When Athena entered the car, she practically gasped at her cousin's attire.

"Bitch, what are you wearing?" Athena questioned, eyeing Marisol.

Marisol shrugged, turning on the car, "I just came from a family dinner, what did you expect?"

"Something better than this!" Athena pinched the cotton material of Marisol's Champion pullover. Marisol rolled her eyes at the girl, starting to drive as Athena told her the directions.

Athena pulled down the mirror in the passenger's seat, taking out the lipgloss from her bag. "I don't know about you, but I plan in getting extremely drunk tonight," she ran the applicator on her lips, blotting the excess on the back of her hand.

"As much as I would love to, my dad would flip out if I came home drunk," Marisol reminded her cousin. Her father planned on taking the "strict parent role" seriously, completely killing half of Marisol's social life.

Athena sighed, adjusting the silver gems that were glued onto her face, "Girl, that is so lame. What are you doing tomorrow?"

"Nothing, I guess."

"But, it's New Years Eve!" She groaned at her cousin, "We have to go out!"

"I'll see if I can sneak out or something. You know my dad, he's probably going to end up working that night anyway."

Marisol's prediction was accurate when she woke up the next morning to her dad finishing his packing.

"Work?" She questioned, leaning against the doorway. Marisol watched him neatly fold his shirts before placing them in his duffel bag.

He nodded, letting out a deep breath, "I have to squeeze in the extra shifts while I can. I found an apartment in Townside, have an appointment next week to go check it out if you want to come with me."

The teenager scoffed, "You're being so dramatic about this whole situation, dad! We don't need to move!"

"If you count Monse's friend being killed as a 'situation', I think it would be best if we get out of Freeridge. I kind of don't care if you and your sister agree with me or not."

Marisol groaned dramatically before stomping away from her father's room. The girl stopped when she made it down the hall to her sister's room.

She made sure that she knocked before going inside to find Monse, who was just beginning to get up for the day.

"Dad's leaving for work again," she informed the younger girl.

Monse nodded, rubbing her tired eyes before rising from the bed, "How long is he planning on being gone this time?"

"Three days," Marisol watched her sister begin to make her bed, like normal, "any plans for tonight?"

"Ruby's family is having their New Year's Party, they do it every year, you should come. I know him and Jamal would be grossly overexcited if you showed up."

Marisol shifted uncomfortably, shaking her head, "I don't know, it would just be weird with me being with Travis and stuff." She referred to Mrs. Martinez.

"Yeah, that's why Cesar's skeptical about going, but I'm trying to convince him to."

"How's Ruby?" Marisol questioned.

Monse pulled her comforter down the bed, tucking in the corners, "Better, still kind of depressed."

"Girls!" Their father called from down the hall, making the girls sigh. Monse followed Marisol as they went to say their goodbyes.

Their father had his duffel bag slung over his shoulder, his car keys in hand. "Okay, I'll see you guys on Tuesday, be safe," he said, hugging both of them, "and no boys."

"Okay, dad," they both rolled their eyes in sync. He gave them one last hug before heading out, honking the horn as he pulled off.

The girls waved and smiled until his car disappeared down the block. "Is Travis coming over?" Monse asked her sister, who nodded in response.

"Of course and Cesar?"

"Already on his way."