“Is your mother-“

“Gone?” He finished. “Yes.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It was long ago.”

A whistle sounded from the path ahead. The scout stood in front of the cavern’s entrance, signaling them to come. Desmond then turned to his men and commanded them to proceed forward. The mouth of the cave looked larger as they approached, revealing not a dark tunnel, but a dimmed one.

Entering the open space, Leiv wrapped the cloak tightly around her body as the temperature around them dropped significantly. Looking behind, she saw the rest of her companions were also given something warm. If this was fall, she could only imagine what winters were like. Shivering slightly, she watched the men around her pay no heed to the coldness. Were they this thick-skinned?

The cavern was fitted with torches that lined the walls, lighting their way through the once darkened tunnel. She could hear water dripping from the surfaces, cascading down onto the ground below. The hollow cave reached as high as any castle she had ever seen, the ceiling invisible to the naked eye as it disappeared above into the darkness.

Crumbles of rock fell from the sides, and as Leiv looked up she was met with figures hovering over them in several places; watching their every move. They mimicked sentries that patrolled the kingdom at all hours of the day. Several of them lined the high ledges of the cavern, pacing back and forth. The men merely watched as they passed through, keeping a close eye on them.

Faint glimmers of light filtered through ahead, and as they continued forward it turned into a beacon that signaled the tunnel’s near end. Silhouettes of a few men walked from the light and stood stationary at the exit, waiting for their group to reach them.

“Remember,” Tristan whispered, “be strong, and above all just be yourself.”

She tensed, but nodded.

Since her caravan was placed in front, Leiv was able to see the men that greeted them when they finally reached the mouth of the cavern. Like all the others they were husky in build and tall in height.

“My liege, welcome home.” A black-haired man who was about Desmond’s height came and clasped arms with him as a sign of respect.

The mage smiled. “It’s good to be home.”

“Who do we have here?” The second barbarian walked up to her cage. His hair was a red mess atop his head, as his nose was just a bit too large for his face. He looked more like a bird than a person. He inspected her, roaming his eyes up and down her body. “Is this her?”

Desmond looked upon the man with mild disdain, but quickly changed his face to friendly when the barbarian turned around. His eyes that once flared annoyance switched to something calmer, forcing himself to be diplomatic about everything.

The last man who finally spoke, looked at her with curiosity. “You really think she could fight in the arena? She’s so small.” He appeared older than the other two, but was shorter than both. His baldhead produced a slight sheen with the sun’s light and it took everything she had not to giggle.