Chapter 31: The Mistress

Alec had arrived early from work, so I'd left the kids with him while I went to the grocery store. We were dangerously low on milk, eggs, bread and basically every staple.

I arrived home, calling out to Alec to help me with the various bags sitting in the backseat. He opened the front door, meeting me halfway and took the load off my hands. I finished grabbing the last bags and locked the car.

As I entered, I was met with an enticing and alluring aroma of food. The lights were dimmed and what looked like a flickering candle was coming from the dining room.

Alec emerged with a bottle of Proseco.

Oh, what's this?

He grinned, and curled his finger at me to enter the dining room. I set my purse down in the living room, making my way to where he was. A lovely chicken dinner was set up on the table complete with a caesar salad and soup and all the fixings.

Alec pulled out my chair, asking me to sit down. He was wearing a dark suit and tie. I felt severely underdressed for this occasion.

"Where are the kids?" I asked.

The house was oddly quiet and there was no way that he would've been able to make this dinner with the kids running around.

"I dropped them off at my mom's place." he replied, standing up to pour me a glass of champagne.

The liquid bubbled up in the clear glass as I lifted it towards my lips. Alec poured his own glass, using a napkin to wipe the mouth of the bottle.

"What's all this?" I asked.

"I wanted to do something special for you. I know I've been working a lot these past few weeks and it'd be nice to spend some alone time."

I smiled, picking up my fork and knife. The chicken was fall off the bone and my mouth was already watering before I could taste it. Alec has grown up with a chef for a mom, and he'd learned the trade quite well.

"How is it?" Alec asked.

"It's delicious, I can't even describe how amazing this is." I replied.

"I'm glad you like it."

I took another drink of my champagne, enjoying the feeling as it flooded through my body. Alec stood, to serve me another glass. Oh, I knew how this night was going to end.

"Alexandra," he began.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Do I look like a fucking idiot to you?"

I furrowed my brows, swallowing the piece of chicken in my mouth.

"Excuse me?"

The atmosphere in the room had shifted into something dark and foreboding. Alec had never spoken to me that way.

"How long?" he asked.

"How long what?"

Alec slammed his badge on the table. It caught the candlelight, sparkling over the words special agent.

"How fucking long have you been a-a-a- serial killer?"

The term was venomous coming off of his tongue.

"Alec, I don't know what you're-"

"Alexandra, I saw you with him. I saw you with Kristopher Marner. He is the Doll Collector and you know it because you're The Mistress. My own fucking wife. How could you? How fucking could you?" he demanded to know.

I gripped my knife tightly.

"Let's calm down." I said, setting my fork down, but the knife remained in my hand.