Chapter 27: Maria

Being pregnant was miserable. Every single morning at 6 a.m., I was running to the bathroom with morning sickness. It was practically my alarm, in fact Kris used it as his wakeup call, too. Every little smell plagued me with a fit of nausea. All I wanted to eat was vanilla ice cream and greek yogurt. Kris had kindly stocked up on all those of items for me, and made sure that I had everything I needed.

Say what you wanted, but he was always on his best behavior when I was pregnant. It was like a switch flipped in his brain and he became the man I wanted him to be. I figured it had something to do with his childhood, he wanted so desperately to do the opposite of what his father did, that he doted on his family.

It didn't help to ease my guilt the more attentive he was. Today was no different as today the FBI was going to take my official statement to get me placed in their witness protection program. I would have to tell them everything from the moment Kris and I met, to the moment he and I made it to Tulsa and began our lives here.

The FBI obviously couldn't divulge information pertaining to their investigation but their behavior indicated that they had something on Kris, something that could bring him down. So I was right, the stain in the basement did mean something. My stomach was twisted into knots as I made it to the Tulsa field office.

Jordan was sound asleep in his car seat and barely moved as I carried him through the door and set him down on the counter to check in. Agent Valentine and Agent Porter quickly met me in the reception area, then escorted me into the elevator.

My heart beat rapidly against my chest, hopping into my throat every now and then when the weight of the reality of the situation crashed on top of me. I gripped the handle to Jordan's car seat tightly, using that hard plastic as a check to myself.

Everything would be fine.

We reached our floor and Agent Porter led the way as Agent Valentine trailed behind me.

Agent Porter turned down a hallway before stopping at a large metal door halfway down. He pointed for me to go inside and take a seat. I paused spotting Zach, Jenny, and another man inside. The agents shut the door and asked me to take a seat again. The man stood, fixing his suit jacket before extending his hand out for me to shake.

He introduced himself at Calvin Meyers, and was a lawyer appointed by the FBI. Agent Valentine took over explaining that this was just a measure of precaution given that I was testifying against my husband and wanted to have legal counsel available in case I needed it.

"Um, can't Kris claim spousal privilege?" I asked.

"He can, but our lawyer has found a loophole. The marriage certificate has fake names, so he may be your husband in your eyes, but legally you're not married. That being said, Kris can claim it, but it doesn't hold water." 

I nodded, taking in a deep breath. Agent Porter removed a small rectangular recorder from the inside pocket of his jacket, and set it on the table. He reminded me that Zach and Jenny were here for support, but would have to step outside during my interview.

They smiled at me, assuringly, then stepped out, shutting the door behind them. Calvin stood, coming over to take a seat beside me. I glanced at Jordan, reminding myself that this was for him and for the little one inside of me.

Agent Porter pressed the record button starting with, "It is Thursday, December 18th, 2020. Present in the room is Agent Alec Valentine, Jordana Maria Gonzalez, currently going by Lynda Davenport also known as Maria Marner, Calvin Meyers, her lawyer, and myself, Agent Todd Porter."

The agents made themselves comfortable before setting notepads onto the table. They asked me if I needed anything before we began the interview.

I shook my head, beginning to bounce my leg up and down.