Chapter 28: Maria

By the end of the interview, it was all in the hands of the FBI. Every last sordid detail had been given to them. I felt ripped open with my blood flooding everywhere. It was like the darkness Kris had injected into my life was now occupying the interview room and was suffocating us all inside.

A heavy weight settled over my shoulders, a terrible burden I would have to carry. Jordan fussed in his car seat, suddenly letting out a high pitched wail. I stood, removing his blanket and lifted him up. His face was already turning red as his angry cries became louder. He was surely hungry. I grabbed his bag, and excused myself outside of the interview room. Jenny and Zach stood, as Jordan greeted them with mournful wails. He was such a dramatic little thing. He certainly took after his father in that respect. I shuffled past them into a nearby bathroom. Mistake really, as the acoustics in there were great, and Jordan's wails were berating me from all angles now. I bobbed him up and down, speaking to him in a soft tone as I shrugged off the sleeve of my sweater and pulled it up over my shoulder.

I undid my nursing bra, and set the little one up for lunch. At this point, I had no sensitivity and barely felt when he latched on. Someone one on the other side of the bathroom door knocked before coming in. I grabbed Jordan's blanket and draped it over his face as Jenny entered the room. She smiled and asked how the interview had gone. My energy was drained, everything felt so heavy and weak. That's how it had gone. All I wanted was to dissolve into tears and curse this life I had brought upon myself.

But I couldn't do that because it wasn't just about me anymore.

Jenny kept the conversation light, steering away from the giant elephant in the room, but it was no use. I wasn't listening to a word she was saying. My life would be uprooted again. The FBI had explained that I would be in witness protection until the end of the trial. Once he was convicted and sentenced to life, then I could return to my normal life. But until then, they had to make sure their star witness was safe.

I couldn't imagine Kris breaking out again, but the first time had been so easy, it was likely he'd do it again. Much worse is if he was working with someone and had them do his bidding for him.

Hearing those words made me break down in sobs during the interview. I was betraying him and the guilt was too much. They assured me that I was doing the right thing for the kids and for myself. My homework now was to begin packing and keep it hidden from Kris. They would move me at a moment's notice before moving in on Kris, and they wanted to make sure that I was out of the way.

I shuffled uncomfortably as a pain shot through my lower abdomen and lower back. I must've been sitting for too long. Jordan continued feeding, but no, I needed to sit down again. I looked around, finding no available space. Suddenly, Jenny gasped loudly.

Her eyes were fixated on my legs. I peeked over Jordan's body paling at the sight. Jenny swung the door open, screaming for help. My back hit the wall then I slid down to the floor. Bright red blood was coating my tan colored leggings. Pain erupted in my abdomen once more. The agents and Zach burst through the bathroom door, and pulled me to my feet. Jenny scooped Jordan from my arms, pulling down my sweater to cover me up.

Zach picked me up, keeping my legs together and rushed me to the elevator. There was shouting and phone calls, but it all seemed like a buzzing in my head. I closed my eyes feeling my body bob up and down as Zach ran through the lobby. He kept telling me that everything was going to be okay, they were getting help. But what was wrong? A bright red flashing light met us as we made it outside and more arms grabbed onto my body. Another sharp pain tore through my abdomen. That's what was wrong. I was laid down on a gurney, strapped in, then wheeled into the back of an ambulance. Every moment felt rushed, as though it weren't real.