Chapter 21: The Mistress

Alec ended his call and set his phone back onto the night stand. I stared at the wall running that name through my memory. Maria... Maria... I didn't know a Maria. He also asked about someone named Kris. I didn't know a Kris either. Was that her husband? Why was he worried about her husband being awake?

He answered as Agent Valentine, but his tone changed when he realized that woman, Maria, was on the other line. Her call had initially awakened me, but what piqued my interest was that Alec immediately called her back. Alec flopped onto his stomach after his call, and let out a heavy sigh before his usual snores took up the silence in the room. But I couldn't sleep. Who would call him this late?

I knew the answer to that. Only a mistress called that late. A woman calling a married man at such a late hour was always for inappropriate reasons.

No, Alec would never do that to me. He loved me unconditionally and he loved our children and the home we had built.

The little voice inside my head shut those ideas out.

He's always working late.

He's an agent for the FBI, his work hours are not traditional. I knew that going into this relationship and this marriage.

He was so paranoid that you were being unfaithful. You know what they say about paranoid partners

Oh whatever.

He just received a call from a random woman and he immediately called her back when she hung up.

It could have been work, it could be someone that he's protecting. It wasn't uncommon for him to be assigned witnesses or special cases.

He's cheating on you. He's going to leave you.

Fuck off.

I rolled my eyes at my own silliness and closed them until sleepiness set in again. By morning, the daily routine started again, and soon enough the kids were running around giggling and chasing each other.

Alec entered the kitchen, smelling of cologne and looking so prim and proper.

When's the last time he dressed that way to go to work?

"You look very handsome today." I said, filling up a cup with orange juice.

He picked it up and kissed me on the cheek as he grabbed two slices of bread to pop into the toaster.

"Thank you."

He didn't even tell you why he's dressed that way.

"Have an important meeting?" I asked nonchalantly.

"No, just thought I'd switch it up for a change." he replied.

Ah, there's woman at work. Maybe that's who Maria is, a married woman at work.

Shut up.

When his toast popped up, he quickly buttered them, downed his orange juice and was out the door. In his wake was his cologne that only gave further fuel to the voice in my head.

I snuffed it out like a candle and made sure the kids had everything they needed before dropping them off at school. They waved goodbye as they jumped off of the car and ran in through the main entrance.

Now who to stalk today, Detective Davenport, Agent Valentine, or Mrs. Davenport?

Neither, you have to prepare for this weekend.

Finally you're making sense.

Yes, this weekend would be a big one, as Detective Davenport was the first I had taken my time with. He had somehow continued to slip from my grasp. I couldn't quite get him alone, but this time would be different.

I promised more information on Layla's murder, and he would get it, but he wouldn't live long enough to tell anyone about it.

The idea tickled me and earned a small giggle. It'd been much too long since I'd killed an unfaithful man and the itch needed to be scratched.

I was sure the FBI was just waiting for my next victim.

Killing him would be tricky as he was an officer, which meant that Tulsa PD would probably work with the FBI to really find this killer. That's what did Aileen Wuornos in, killing a retired cop. I had to be careful to leave no evidence. It would be my cleanest kill yet. It had to be.

I made it to the hardware store and strolled casually up and down each aisle. There were a couple of items needed for this weekend's project. My kills usually involved a barbiturate to lower their defenses and ended with with a sharp knife.

Yet, something told me that Detective Davenport would not go down easy. He would fight the effects of the barbiturate and it would get messy.

First on my shopping list, sheets of plastic to collect his blood. I picked up a large roll then headed down the next aisle. A hammer, in case he wasn't willing to go down easy.

Black spray paint to throw off the scent in case anyone decided to look into me.

Next was rope and zip ties so I could work without the fear of him resisting.

With all my items in the cart, I made it to the checkout counter. The cashier rang me up, looking at each item as if he had never seen them before.

"Planning to murder someone?" he laughed.

I grinned, shaking my head.

"Oh no, just going to work on some projects that my husband refuses to do."

The cashier nodded with a smile and put all my items into a plastic bag.

"Well if you need any help or advice, please feel free to come back. Our staff is well prepared to help with any home project."

"Thank you."

Dumbass.

I left the cart in a port, then tossed the plastic bag into the backseat.

First, I would kill Detective Davenport for being the unfaithful lech that he was. Then, I would kill Mrs. Davenport. She knew who I was now, and that meant no witnesses.

That would leave the matter of their baby and their pretty kitty.

Well, that was for the state to deal with.

But one thing was for sure. The Davenports would be no more, and the Mistress would get off scot free.

 The Davenports would be no more, and the Mistress would get off scot free

Hello!

How was this chapter? It was a little shorter, but it's building up to something else!