If you thought the Turner's garden looked beautiful normally... you'd probably faint at the sight of it today. The gardeners seem to have done an especially wonderful job trimming the hedges and raking the grass, because there isn't a leaf out of place. The entire place is adorned by fairy lights between the plants, and the tables are something out of a royal tea party. As soon as I walk in, I can tell just how out of place I am. Even though my dress matches the whole aesthetic of the party, unlike the kids dressed in Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton, I'm wearing my old, trusty Converse. And... there's also the fact that the only other teenagers here are all friends of Jase, including Tyler, Cody, Janine, and.... Chrissa. Ugh.

I walk over to the drinks table, trying to play it cool, when someone taps me on the shoulder. I spin around, almost spilling my strawberry punch all over Noah Windsor's white shirt. I blush. "I- um- hi."

"Hey." He looks good. He's wearing a thin white shirt and a light blue tie, his dark hair brushed back. "I'm glad you're here. If I have to hear Chrissa Thompson tell one more story about how good she is at cheerleading, I think I might just jump in the fountain."

"Don't do that!" I say. "Then who will help me endure the stories?"
He laughs, holding out an arm for me, which I take. "So how are you today?" he asks as we walk over to the group.

"Good now," I say. "You?"

Noah's about to respond when I hear the nasally voice of Chrissa Thompson. "Ugh. Why is she here? Did she stumble in by accident on her way to Poor People Anonymous?"

With a jolt, I realize Chrissa is talking about... me.

"I know," Jase says, rolling his eyes. "Our moms are family friends from high school or something, I guess. Honestly, I think they're basically just our charity case. I mean, why would someone be a waitress at Angel's Diner if they weren't dying for cash?"

Chrissa laughs and I feel a lump in my throat.

"Hey- do you want to get out of here?" Noah asks softly.

I nod. "Yeah. Sure."

Noah and I walk around to the back of the house, until we're away from everyone. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm not exactly rich either. The only reason I got invited was because I'm new here... and I think Janine has a crush on me."

That sentence makes me smile a little bit, but I can't help but still feel embarrassed. "It's just so embarrassing," I say. "If they were going around lying about me, that would be one thing, but the worst part is that it's all true. I.. can you keep a secret?"

"Of course," Noah says. We sit down on a bench and he wraps an arm around me. "Is this okay?"

I nod. "Yeah. Well... what Jase said about my mom and I being the Turner's charity case... it's true. We got evicted a month ago. We've been living here ever since."

Noah's silent for a minute. "You've been living here? In a mansion? Wow, I'm jealous. I wish I could get evicted."

"Hilarious," I say, but I'm smiling.

"Okay, but seriously, you need to take me on a tour. Now," he says. "I need to know where all of Jase Turner's idiocy stems from."

I've spent an hour showing Noah the sprawling grounds and the house by the time we get to my room. "Be warned," I tell him. "There are lots of cherubs. You might have to avert your eyes."

He smirks. I think I can handle a few- oh my god!" he says as we walk in. "You can sleep with these things staring at you all night?"

I laugh. "Well... not really." I walk over to the bed and so does he. I sit down and then suddenly he does too and he's so close to me that my heart pounds like it's trying to escape a lead cage... but in a good way, I think.

"Hey," he says, and suddenly his voice is soft."

"Hey," I say back. "Can... can I kiss you?"

He smiles. "I never thought you'd ask."

His lips are soft as they brush against mine, and I'm overcome by 9000 thoughts at once, the primary one being: I'm making out with Noah Windsor. As in the hot, new guy Noah Windsor.

He deepens the kiss, and somehow without having any experience, I somehow know exactly what to do back to him. He touches my shoulder, pulling down the sleeve of my dress gently. I lean into him without even knowing what I'm doing. His lips taste like fruit punch.

I wonder what Jase's lips taste like.

My eyes fly open, but I keep kissing him, trying to pretend like nothing's wrong. Which nothing is. It's not like I'm... kissing Noah and thinking about another boy. Especially not Jase Turner.

Oh shit.

I try to ignore the noise in my head, focusing on Noah. On the feel of his tongue, the way his shoulder blades move, the muscles in his arms. This feels good. This is what I want, I decide, as Noah sweeps my hair to the side and unzips the back of my dress. I pull away from him, starting to unbutton his shirt, and then we come back together. I smile against his lips. This is perfect. This is everything I want.

"What the fuck is going on?"

For a second I think I'm dreaming, but even my head couldn't be this cruel. Because standing directly outside my wide-open door... is Jase.