5. The Chase

"The world is such a small place!", Geet exclaimed after each of the four revealed how they know each other and all the confusion was cleared.
"I totally agree!", Maan joined in and looked at amused Aditya and Zoya. "So, Aditya is Maan's best friend who has been my fellow passenger on the plane from Mumbai to Hyderabad. Aditya, this is Zoya, my best friend. And what even were you both doing under those drapes wrapped in flowers?", Geet asked both of them raising her eyebrows. Zoya quickly added, " It's nothing, we tripped over and fell because of those kids playing around and just got entangled in that mess", passing a smile to Aditya who was convinced with Zoya's answer. Soon, snacks and tea arrived and Maan and Geet got into their never ending talks leaving their best friends.
Aditya and Zoya ate in silence not knowing what to do.
Aditya then stared at Zoya for a while and when she noticed, he  started smiling and shaking his head. When Zoya enquired what was so funny, he slid his hand into the pocket and took out a silver earring. Zoya's eyes popped out and she moved her hand across her ear to find one of her earrings missing. She used her hand to cover her mouth which had by then formed an 'O' out of shock, after the realization dawned upon her that her co-passenger upon whom she had inflicted pain with her nails is Aditya. She did not want anyone else to know about her flight journey's escapades.
"Indeed the world is such a small place. Her copassenger turns out to be her best friend's husband-to-be's best friend. Just Wow!", the voice in Zoya's head spoke to her while she gave this man sitting beside her a pleading look and gestured to not tell about her antics on the flight to Maan or Geet. Aditya was enjoying her plight and continued playing along in gestures as if he was thinking about her proposal to keep quiet.
Maan and Geet noticed Aditya-Zoya talking about in gestures.
"Ahem ahem", Maan cleared his throat bringing back Aditya and Zoya from their mute banters. "What's happening guys?", You both look lost in your own world.. Zoya shall I take this as a sign for an upcoming good news?", Geet told in a teasing tone.

"Are you nuts Geet??!!! There's nothing like that",  Zoya told horrified, looking at Aditya she continued, "why don't you tell something?"

"Maan , Geet let me tell you what was happening. Like you told Geet, the world is indeed such a small place. Zoya and I, just realized that we were on the same plane , sitting side by side sometime ago. Look, here's her earring", Aditya told Maan and Geet while Zoya was dreading what might follow.

"Zoya was asking me to return her earring and I was just playing along with her, there's nothing more to it. Sorry Geet, you can't fix me up with your best friend", Aditya flashed his dimpled smile at Geet and then turned towards Zoya and returned her ear ring. Zoya smiled at him for not letting out her escapades.
"Stop troubling my best friend Aditya", Geet told side hugging Zoya. "Tonight there's a small get together of sorts, a dinner  before the functions start tomorrow and guests start pouring in.  So, both of you be there okay?"
"You need not invite me Geet, I'll be there for the food", Zoya told sticking her tongue out. Aditya let out a chuckle and told he would be there. Soon everyone dispersed.

The dinner was a simple affair. It was for the immediate families of both the bride and groom to get to know each other before the guests start pouring in tomorrow. Once done with the dinner,  Zoya retired to her room early to catch up some sleep since she couldn't sleep properly last night due to her bus journey and her flight that morning.

Zoya woke up at around 11:30p.m to the sound of the windows banging against their frames due to the gustling winds outside. She quickly closed the windows and before she could go back to her bed, she heard the sound again, this time from outside.
"It must be from The neighbouring room. It is so disturbing. Why don't they close it once and for all? Maybe they haven't returned from the dinner yet", thinking so she came out of her room in her pyjamas. She went up to the room and found the door open. She tried to peep in to find if anyone's there. She contemplated whether to go and close the windows herself or to wait till someone shows up as it was bad manners going into someone's room this late without their permission. And this is how Aditya found Zoya when he returned after his phone call- a girl peeping inside his room in pyjamas.
"Whats the plan? How are we going to rob this place?", Aditya asked moving close to Zoya from behind. "Shh... and why would I rob this place? I just want to close the windows and get back to my room. The sound is disturbing" and that's when Zoya realised she wasn't alone. She turned around swiftly bumping into Aditya.
"You?!", she shrieked.
"Yes Me. Who else were you expecting would come to my room?", Aditya told faking a smile.
"Oh your room... well now that you're here please go and do something about the windows banging. Thank you and Good night",she finished in one go and started to walk back to her room when Aditya stopped her in her way causing her to bump into him again. "What now?", she asked annoyed with a frown. "Actually let it be. We'll leave this impending fight for another day because I am too tired to pick up a fight with you right now. Good Night",saying so retired into room. Zoya returned to her room to complete her sleep.