Chapter 21: Unable

Start from the beginning

We reached the dock in no time, I saw Jin-goo appeared at the surface as well, looking extremely worried. And I understand, but I have no time to check on him.

Jieun's auntie and uncle helped me get her up, and lie her down on the dock. I went up and rushed to her side.

And gave her a CPR.

"Please wake up.", I mumbled while I pump her chest to get the water out of her.

And then goes back blowing air on her mouth, I repeated the pattern many times.

"Wake up Jieun, please" I kept mumbling. My own heartbeat wouldn't calm down either.

But I can't lose hope.

Two forceful pumps and she suddenly cough, waking up and throwing up the excess water she had taken.

"Oh God.", a loud sigh of relief came out of me, as I lower my head. And finally breathe out the heaviness of air inside my chest.

She sat up, her eyes turn wide as she saw me. I felt guilty, and know I need to apologize before she yell at me.

"I'm so-"

She didn't let me finish as she lunge at me. And wrapped both her arms around my neck, hugging me tight.

I was so surprised that I didn't able to say something but hug her back. And buries my head on the crook of her neck.

We remained like that for a few seconds before someone pull me away from her.

"What are you thinking!?"

Jin-goo sunbaenim's shouted at me, as he yanked me up to face him.

"Why did you jump there!? What the hell did have to make everyone worried for you! What will you do if something happens to her because of you!?"

He growled fuming at me, as his hand tightened holding me firm. My brows furrowed.

"I didn't- I didn't know. I'm sorry, I just-"

My lips pursed.

"You just what!? You want some attention?! You want her attention?"

He asked as he looked at me with suspicious eyes. I was taken aback by his question.

My teeth gritted. Knowing he's somewhat right that I want her attention, her smile and everything about her. And I'm wrong for diving at the water and only thinking about myself. I was being selfish.

"Jin-goo"

"Let her go."

Jin-goo's hand loosened. And we both turn our head to her direction. She pushed herself up, but wobble on her feet looking very exhausted I was gonna help her stand up. But Jin-goo sunbaenim immediately came to her rescue. Supporting her by holding her hand and waist to stay still.

My jaw clenched at the sight. But I feel like I have no right to hold her. It was my fault she drowned.

I couldn't even look at her. I know where I crossed the damn line and took her for granted. She's a cop, it was in her nature to help when she thinks someone is in danger.

I should have thought of that.

Jin-goo sunbae then guided her as they walk passed me. They'll probably be going back to the house.

I didn't follow. Her auntie and uncle patted my shoulder and asked me if I'm alright I nod with a tight-lipped smile. I saw Jin-goo carries her on a bridal style as they started leaving. The older ones asked me to follow them, but I refused. And told them that I'll stay here for some time, before I go back. They didn't ask further and let me be. And then they left.