Chapter 2

When I walk to classes in school, I keep my head down and try my best to fit in. I often sit at the back of the class, so I know people can't blatantly stare or gawk at me. I retain good grades because my late adoptive father was always trying to push me to be my best. Unfortunately, a few years after my adoptive father, I count him as my father, added me to his family, his wife left because she thought that I was consuming his attention. My father passed away when I was ten, and Chance, my older brother, was eighteen years old. I always have rules so that I don't make a scene or draw attention. My two best friends over the years have become men and often draw attention of many people. I hide behind them when someone comes up to them, or if someone stops to talk. If it's something deeper than a hello, they send me on my way because they know I dislike people. I don't speak at all in class, or to others in my classes. The teachers at my school have been briefed by my brother thoroughly that I won't respond, so it's easier to talk to me individually, or I'll shut down.

"Hey," Kei's voice filtered in. "You wanna go with Rio and I to the store later to grab some snacks?" He walked beside me, having me on the inside so no one would run into me. I shook my head, but he didn't stop. "You know we're doing a movie night, and Rio will complain about being hungry," I whined and nodded. "We'll come to get you after class." He nodded and left.  

When the bell finally rang, I waited patiently so I wouldn't be in anyone's way, to stand up. When I entered the hallway, I felt slight panic considering the boys weren't there. They're usually always at the door, waiting for me. The grip on the bottom of my sweatshirt tightened considerably. Taking a deep breath, I made my way cautiously to where they might be. When I stepped out the door, the two were bombarded with students talking to them. 

"I can't believe it," A girl's voice sounded, making me internally panic. I moved out of the way, only to be approached by the girl who the voice belonged to. "It's weird that your boyfriends aren't shutting it down today. I wonder if they got sick of being around a freak like you." She sneered at me with a fake smile. "You should just leave them alone and not string them along anymore. We're all graduating soon, it's your fault neither of them has dated anyone." She shoved me, only making my shoulder move. "Maybe you made them both weird, just like you. They probably are co-dependent when it comes to dating. They're better off without you around." She went to touch my hair, and I instinctually reacted by slapping her hand away harshly. She and her friends laughed gently at my reaction. "Perhaps you don't like it like when they pay attention to other girls. Do you secretly want them? Wh**e." She sneered with a smirk. "If that's not the case, maybe you made them gay. Are they f****ts?" At the last word I snapped. My body moved without my consent. When I saw her knocked out on the ground, I panicked at what I had done. Whispers around me started to grow louder. Oh no, please don't pay attention to me.  A hand on my arm made me panic, and when I saw that it was Rio, I calmed down. 

"Holy s***," Some random second-year male yelled out. "She dropped her with one hit, that's amazing." The girls in her group shrunk back, as I figured, she was the leader. I couldn't look at Rio; I was on the brink of crying. 

"How could you do that to her? You're such a freak!" One of her friends snapped out at me from the girls' side. She was conscious now.