n i n e t e e n

i ended up falling asleep and stayed asleep the whole night, but i forgot to set my alarm for school. i woke up and checked the time, it was 8:29 am. fuck.

i walked to school and got a late slip, the girl working at the table looked at me as if i wasn't human. i walked to my second class since i was late for the first one. i was terrified, i didn't want to see those girls again. i was still in a lot of pain from yesterday but i played it off.

i didn't see the girls at school the whole day, thankfully. i decided to go to emily's house to see how she's holding up.

i finally get to the house after almost a three hour walk. the house looks weird, it looked dull, almost like no one was living there. i walked up to the door and knocked two times, hearing emily shuffle inside, like she was putting something down frantically. then she walked over to the door, opening it. she immediately gave me a hug, then welcomed me inside. the house was a mess and it smelled like cigarette smoke. there were ash trays laying around everywhere, there was a sink full of dishes, and there were blankets and pillows everywhere.

"i thought you'd never come back." she said as we sat on the couch, i gave her a little smile.

"this whole situation.. it's crazy." i said.

"it's hard." she said, her voice was different. it sounded like she had been crying for a long time.

"yeah." i sighed.

"if you don't mind me asking, what are you going to do?"

"what do you mean?" she looked up at me. i was trying to think about how i should word this without sounding mean.

"you know," i hesitated. "uh, rent? where are you going to live?" i sounded rude, but i needed answers. she didn't say anything, instead she just put her face in her hands and cried.. i got up and sat by her, rubbing her back like a little kid.

"that's why i just- fuck. i don't know what i'm going to do." she quietly spoke, if she spoke any louder her voice would crack.

"your parents? are they around? mine aren't."

"what?" she asked. "where have you been living all this time?"

"oh uh, my boyfriends. did you hear about what happened?" i asked her, i thought she had already knew, but i guess sam never called her?

"no.."

"my house burnt down," i put my hands together. "but don't feel bad, i'm fine." i lied.

"oh." she said, then her home phone rang. both of our heads turned to the phone, then at each other. i don't know why, but i thought this phone call would be bad. she ran to the phone and answered it. i saw her face go from sad to shocked, then scared. she slowly put the phone down and looked around the house, then at me.

"you need to go." she told me in a serious tone that actually scared me.

"what? why?"

"go." she insisted. i ran to the front door, but just then i heard someone bang on it about 7 times from the other side. it scared me so i jumped then looked back at emily and she was motioning me to go upstairs with her. i followed, but she then turned around going down the stairs and grabbed a duffle bag, then ran back upstairs.

we went up to her room and it was a big mess, even messier than the downstairs, but that doesn't matter. we went in her closet and inside of her closet was a little door. she opened it and there was a craw space, we went in there.

"i'm calling the cops." i whispered.

"NO." she yelled as i searched through my pockets but my phone was no where to be found, then i realized i left it downstairs. i looked up at her with my hands shaking wild.

"what's going on?" was all i could get out. she put her finger over my mouth, shushing me. she went over even further to the back of the craw space and put the black duffel bag in the corner.

then i heard two people running frantically up the steps, then they checked every room basically knocking down the doors.

"fuck." she whispered.

"what?"

"i forgot to lock the door." when she said that i felt my heart drop.. is this the day that i'm going to die?