Chapter Thirty-Five

Josie POV-

I look over and see Hope and Mom having a conversation away from us. It looks serious. Lizzie is talking to Dad about random stuff so I keep watching. Hope's hand is tightening next to her side before she starts to walk back over towards me. "Hey babe," Hope sits down behind me putting her legs on each side of me. She reaches forward placing her head in my neck. I ask Hope in my head, "What's wrong?" Hope doesn't look up at me. "Nothing, just talking to your mom made me miss dad that's all." I nod my head in understanding as Hope wraps her arms around my waist.

We sit like that for a while. Mom comes back over and we all just sit there talking about random stuff. "Alright, I am getting hungry, can we head back and make dinner?" Lizzie is slowly picking at the sand. "Sure honey, are you and Hope ready to leave too?" I look at Hope who nods her head. She hasn't said much since she sat down with me. "Yeah, we are ready."

The drive back seemed to go by faster than the trip to the coast. I sit with my head resting on Hope's shoulder and our hands interlocked as she looks out the window. Whatever Mom and Hope were talking about really upset her. We get home and Mom sets to work cooking in the kitchen.

"Dinner is ready!" Mom calls us to come eat. Lizzie jumps up from her seat in the living and runs into the kitchen. "This is really good, Mom, thanks," Mom nods her head at me as a thanks. No one is saying much. When we finish eating, Mom calls us into the living room.

Hope sits down on the edge of the couch. I sit down next to her scooched close. She wraps her arm around my waist before Mom starts to talk. "So, girls, your Dad and I have been meaning to talk to you about something." Lizzie and I glance at each other confused before she continues. Mom looks to Dad to continue. "So, you both know you are from the Gemini Coven. Years and years ago a curse was cast on the twins born to the Gemini Coven. At the age of 22, you two will have to complete the merge." I can feel Hope tighten her grip on me. "What is the merge, Dad?" Lizzie grabs my hand to hold. "The merge is when you will have to battle each other and whoever wins-" Dad begins to trail off. "Whoever wins will absorb the loser and become the new leader of the Gemini Coven." Mom finishes for him.

"Wait, so you're telling me that Josie and I will have to fight and whoever is stronger will kill the other?" Lizzie stands up letting go of my hand. A single tear rolls down Lizzie's check. Hope leans forward placing her head against my shoulder. I hear her in my head, "I am so sorry, Jo." I don't know how to react. Lizzie gets up and walks behind the couch as Dad and Mom stand up stepping towards her. "Lizzie, it is going to be okay," Mom walks over to her as she is squeezing her hands tight.

Next thing we know, the lights are flickering and Lizzie lets out a blood curdling screech unleashing a magical burst of energy pushing Mom and Dad to the ground. We hear a couple of objects begin to vibrate before they are thrown too. Hope pulls me down to cover me from any flying objects. When Hope lets me sit up, we see that Lizzie is gone.

"Dammit Caroline, I knew we should have waited!" Dad yells at Mom as they both struggle to get off the ground. "Are you kidding me? We waited too long as it is!" Hope is still holding onto me tight. "You guys go find her; I've got Josie." Mom and Dad go running out the front door to look for Lizzie.

"Babe?" I still haven't said a single word. "What are you thinking?" I lean back and collapse into her arms remaining silent. We sit in silence for a minute before Hope starts to talk again. "We will find a loophole. I will find a loophole. I won't lose you Jo; I promise I will find a solution. We will get our happy ending." She was doing her best to reassure me but I am still in shock.

Eventually, I sit up, "We should go help look for Lizzie." I stand up and begin to walk out of the house with Hope trailing shortly after me. "Hey Dr. Saltzman, did you find her?" Hope is holding the phone to her ear. She nods a couple of times before responding. "We will be right there." Hope ends the call before putting her phone back into her pocket. "She is in the woods by where we went running and she said she will only talk to you. Are you okay with that? I can stay with you or-" Hope trails off. This is uncharted territory for her. "Yeah, I can talk to her," we continue walking in silence my hands in my pockets.

We finally arrive at the woods where Dad told Hope to have us meet them. I see Dad first. "Hope, Josie, thank you for coming. Then I see her. Lizzie is sitting in a ball pressed up against a tree rocking back and forth. There are some leaves floating around her that shouldn't be. "Jo, she said she will only talk to you." Mom walks over to us. "Can you?" Mom didn't finish her sentence. No one is finishing their sentences tonight.

I nod my head before slowly approaching Lizzie. "Hey Liz, you said you wanted to talk to me?" I sit down directly next to her. I reach over and carefully grab her hand interlocking our fingers. The leaves begin to fall back to the ground. "Jo, what are we going to do?"