Chapter One

Josie POV-

"Josie, wake up" Lizzie begins to shake my shoulders. I look over at the clock and see it's only 9 am. "Lizzie, it is too early what do you want?" I try to rub some sleep out of my eyes a little more so I can try to comprehend why Lizzie is shaking me awake on a Saturday morning. "There is going to be a party at the Old Mill tonight, we should go," she continues to shake my shoulders lightly. "Are you going to go?" Lizzie looks at me with her best pleading look. "If I say yes, can I go back to sleep?" Lizzie begins to shake her head up and down quickly. "Yes, if you agree to come, I will leave you be for now." I hesitate for a second before answering with a sigh, "See you in a couple hours," I say to Lizzie as I roll over to my side. Lizzie smirks and leaves the room.

Hope POV-

My alarm clock goes off at 9:30 giving me thirty minutes to get to training with Alaric. I quickly change into sweats and head out to the deck by the pond outside the back entrance to the school. "You're right on time for once," Alaric laughs. "Sorry, was a little slow getting out of bed this morning," He looks at my face and can see the dark rings under my eyes. "Are you having trouble sleeping again?" Alaric looks at me with concern in his eyes. "Yeah, neverending." We continue sparring as I block every punch and kick Alaric throws at me before he leaves his side exposed and I have the chance to flip him over me. Alaric hits the wood deck with enough force to knock the breath out of him. "Okay, I think we are good for training today," Alaric laughs as Hope looks down at him. "Might need to recruit some sturdier trainers for me to train with," Hope gives Alaric her hand and pulls him back up. "We'll see," Alaric turns to leave but Hope asks," Can I run tonight? I can stay in the backwoods." "Yes, just be careful," Alaric leaves and I head to my room to shower and change before starting my homework for the weekend.

Lizzie POV-

"Alright Josie, white dress," I show Josie holding the dress up in front of me, "or blue dress." Josie thinks over the choices as I continue to show her both dresses. "White dress, MG will like it." Red floods my face as I think about seeing MG tonight. I run into the bathroom to hide how flushed I am and to change when I hear a knock on the door.

Josie POV-

"I got it, Lizzie," I get up from my bed and walk over to the door still in my sleep shorts and t-shirt. "Hey Jo-Jo, are you coming to the party tonight?" Penelope looks me up and down smirking. "Not that it is your business but yes," I could see Penelope light up at hearing that. "Guess I will see you later then, wear something cute," Penelope winks at me before leaving down the hall towards the cafeteria. Lizzie comes back into the room and asks," Who was that?" I look up at her and try to hide how flustered I am. "It was Penelope." The smile on Lizzie's face quickly dropped at hearing this. "You guys broke up weeks ago and she still keeps dragging you along. She broke up with you. She hurt you! She better hope she doesn't run into me tonight." Lizzie's hands were in tight fists by her sides. "I am okay, Lizzie," I say with my best fake smile. "Go finish getting ready, I am going to run to the library to finish up some homework before the party tonight." Without giving Lizzie a chance to object, I quickly change into black ripped jeans, a grey sweater and dark red leather jacket and head down to the library I hear Lizzie say, "Party starts at 8!"

It was about 7 pm when I stopped doing homework, grabbed some food from the kitchen and headed to my room to get dressed. I had been so busy helping Lizzie pick out her dress and get ready that I had completely forgotten to find something for myself. I looked at myself in the mirror at my outfit and decided it was enough for the party. I finished eating and touched up my makeup and hair before heading out to the Old Mill.

I could hear the music pounding through the woods as I got closer. "Hey Jo-Jo," I turned around to see Penelope in a black dress with a white jacket. "Miss me?" she moves closer, close enough to touch. My heart rate picked up. "I, I am going to go get a drink," I stutter out as I quickly move around her and walk up the couple steps into the Old Mill and head straight to the alcohol. After getting my beer, I see Lizzie and MG. "Hey Jo!," Lizzie looks really happy as she dances with MG. "How's everything?" MG takes my hands to get me to dance with him. "Everything is good," I dance with them for a little bit refilling my red solo cup a couple times throughout the night.

"You can't just ignore me," again Penelope is back. I turn to look at her but stumble ever so slightly. "Actually, I can since YOU broke up with ME," I was mad at this point. "You cannot just use me when it conveniences you. You act like I am yours and that I will just always be here for you." I stumble again a little more than before. "Wow, Josie are you drunk," Penelope moves closer. "Don't-," Penelope leans in and kisses me. I push her off and head off into the woods walking until the music is barely audible.

Hope POV-

I head out the back door of the school and make my way into the woods. I take off my clothes and fold them leaving them under a bush where I always do. I begin to change into my wolf hearing the slight crack of my bones as I transform. It doesn't hurt as much as it used to but still enough for me to let out a whimper.

This is my stress reliever. I am free when I am running through these woods as my wolf. I can't keep track of time when I am out here but I know I have been running for a while when my wolf stops. That scent. I know that scent. Vanilla.

My wolf turns to go towards it without allowing me much control over where I was going. We slow down as I turn to see Josie Saltzman sit down against a tree. She has a drink in her hand and tears rolling down her cheeks.

Josie POV-

I finally feel like I walked far enough away when I decide to sit down against a tree. I slowly slide down it slightly spilling my drink. I am just so tired of Penelope acting like she didn't hurt me. That she didn't leave me.

I am deep into my thoughts when I hear some bushes rustle but there was not a breeze to move any of the other shrubs. I don't move as I try to see what is there. "Hey! Come out whoever you are! I am a witch be scared," I tried my best not to slur my words as I spoke.

Hope POV-

"Is she drunk?" I thought to myself. I sat there watching her against the tree for a couple of minutes before crouching low and walking forward. "Woah, who are you?" Josie tried to stand but fell back down. She spilled the rest of her drink as she tried to stand again. I whimpered to try and tell her I wouldn't hurt her. Josie cocked her head trying to process why this wolf wasn't attacking her.

I moved forward more, slowly, until I was close enough for Josie to be able to reach her hand out to touch me. I put my head between my paws and laid as still as possible "Who are you?" Josie's mind couldn't process that it was me since it wasn't a full moon, I am the only option. Josie slowly reached her hand out to touch my light white colored fur.

Josie POV-

"You're so soft," I whispered carefully scratching behind her ear and rubbing my hand along her back. My head was still spinning as the wolf scooted closer to me wrapping around me. I didn't even realize I was cold until her heat warmed me. It didn't take long for me to slowly start to nod my head as I fell asleep curled into this wolf.

Hope POV-

I tried to stay as still as possible to let Josie sleep off the alcohol. It was probably close to about 3 am when I heard someone yell her name. Lizzie. Her twin sister. She slowly started to walk closer seeing Josie fast asleep against me. I looked up at Lizzie before letting out a slight whimper to show her I wouldn't harm her. Lizzie walked over and sat down laying a hand lightly on her sister's leg. She looked over at me and asked, "Can you understand me?" I nod my head and my tail thumps once. "Is she okay?" Lizzie looks at me with concern as MG starts to walk over towards us, clearly helping Lizzie look for Josie. I nod again as Josie stirs a little.

"Hope?" MG looks at me as recognition crosses his face. He knew it wasn't a full moon. He knew I was the only wolf who could transform at will. Lizzie's eyes finally appear to understand the situation as she looks over at me. "Can we take her back to the dorms?" I nod my head as MG picks up Josie and follows Lizzie out of the woods back to the dorms. Lizzie looks back as they are leaving and mouths "thank you" before they leave the boundary of the woods, and I am left alone.

I follow from a distance just to make sure they make it back before returning to my hidden clothes, change, and head inside myself. I make it back to my room and for the first night in a long time, fall asleep immediately.