Chapter 8: Almost like Cinderella

My feet carried me down the long hall to the luxurious elevator and out into the foyer of the house. There was no bustling workers racing around the room, in fact it was almost quiet, just a few stray voices coming from past what appeared to be a kitchen. A large white table centered the room. The rear wall was floor to ceiling glass windows so clear you wouldn't ever be able to see them if it wasn't for the glare from the sunlight spilling in. Crystal glasses and fancy plates with litters of food scatter the table. Where anyone had gone was pass me? That is when I felt for the first time in what felt like forever. Somehow, I had wandered to the wall of windows and the sunlight found me.

  Warmth. That is was what I felt in the calm silence of the seemingly empty dining room. When I was little, eight or ten maybe, my mom would take me to work with her on the weekends. In that high-rise building her cubical faced the morning sun. I would bask in it's warmth on the office's woven carpet. I would just sit and stare, watching the movements of the world below. Mom used to say that when she got her promotion she would be sure to get an office facing the sunrise just for me and daydreams. But, I guess that never got to happen for her. "Evie?" A voice sounded behind me.

  It was Corbin but, he looked different from before on the stairs.  His hair was brushed through and gelled back. His outfit was pristine and ironed, not a wrinkle or stain in sight. "What are you doing in here? The party is outside." he smiled to me. I turn back around looking out the window, how did I not notice the patio full of socializing bodies, I do not know. Corbin guided me outside to the man of the hour, my father. There he stood in his fancy clothes, with these random fancy people, in this fancy house with a lady whom I had not seen yet Whitney, I suppose.

  "Oh my God!" The woman-Whitney said with a gasp. My eyes must of gotten huge. Was she talking about me? Yes. When I tell you I have never seen anyone walk so fast in that tall of heels. My father quickly caught on and they both made there way to me and my brother. Corbin rolled his eyes and took swift drink of what I am assuming was alcohol. That reminded me that he is 21, a full adult. "Oh my God! Robert she is so pretty." That is when I noticed the drink in her hand as well. At least I know she is old enough to drink. She looks so young that she could be Corbin's girlfriend.

  Whitney had bleach blonde hair and long tanned legs. Her dress was tight to her body and her smile was fake. "So uh, Evie this is Whitney, Honey this is Evie." My father finally spits out. "Um hi." I say maybe a little to quietly. "What did you say? Can't stand mumbling." She responds. Blush blanketed my face, even my ears felt warm. Corbin places his hand on my back softly, "She says hi, Whitney. She has a right to be a little shy all considering." Whitney dumbfounded, scoffs a little with a hint of laughter. "Well Evie, I hope you don't stay shy. I have never had a daughter before." Daughter. I am not her daughter. She isn't my mother. Lines form between my eyebrows. "Oh my God. You can call me mom." Silence. It seemed like no one said anything for many minutes. Nervously Whitney giggles "You know like step-mom I mean." I can feel Corbin's anger to this person, it radiates off him like heat and I think this hatred is becoming mutual. "Oh my God, Robby, it will almost be like Cinderella." She says to my dad.

Corbin spoke up after more awkward silence. "Dad." My dad found his eyes and it was as if they spoke with them. "Whitney why don't we go say hello to Danny and his wife?" "Oh my God, I haven't seen her since Vegas." And off they went. I watched the way she carried herself. It was like she knew she had everything. She had my dad's money, she had my dad's house, she had my dad and I didn't. "I am so sorry, Evie. She-She...we all despise her. I-" I cut him off. "It's fine.....Why don't you take me to the rest of the...uh...crew?" He chuckled. Crew? Seriously, I need to work on holding a conversation. "I think there is a couple people dying to meet you."

_______________
I know these are going up so late. IM SO SORRY! We had a sudden(hehehehe) plot change. 😗✌🏼