Chapter 6: Common Occurrence

"Evie!" I was awake now. Josefina was sitting in my bed, both of her warm hands on my shoulder trying to shake me out of my trance. I couldn't stop. The crying that is and the violent sputtering of my chest. Sweat coated my entire body. I throw off my blankets. I am sure that I woke up every single person in that house but, for some reason I couldn't stop anything I was doing. I wanted the hurt to stop, my heart literally felt like it was being separated from my chest. I just wanted one person, my mom but, I couldn't have her. Suddenly a thought popped in my head-Ethan.

   "E-" I tried to get it out "Etha-" I couldn't breathe.  "S-She is trying to say Ethan!" Her eyebrows furrowed, she didn't know what to do. "Go get Ethan!" Was there someone else in the room? "Sophia! Go get him." I could here a soft sorry's and fast footsteps. Those words kept playing through my head, "Miss me?" Yes, mom, I do.  I sprang up. "Just breathe, honey." I think Josefina was crying at this point as well. "M-Mommy." I croaked out like a little girl. I couldn't see anything at all, tears clouded my vision. I felt like I was going to pass out. The world was crashing into me and it wasn't going to stop. Right before I gave up someone wrapped there arms around me and I instantly knew it was him.

"Ethan!" I was hugging him back now. I could physically feel myself calm down. I mean my eyes still spewed tears and my breathing was still overly erratic but, he was here. I was here and I was alive. He moved a little and my heart dropped. "Don't go! Don't-Don't leave me!" I clung to the soft material of his shirt. "I won't leave." I looked up to him. There was little light in the room but I could see his face, a reflection of myself. My other half that I haven't hugged in 10 years.

"Evie, I missed you so much." He said pulling my head into his chest. I don't know how long we stayed like that. "Can you calm down we can actually talk?" he chuckles pulling away. I see him wipe wetness from his face. I laugh too but, I'm unsure if I really meant it.  I scooted towards my headboard and brought my knees to my chest; Ethan does the same. "You know it's like 6 am, right?" he says staring at the wall in front of him. I gasp, "I-I'm so sorry that I woke you up I-" He cuts me off. "It's fine." I pull the blanket the bed and wrap it around my body. "I haven't slept in 4 days." A somber quietness fills the room. The spin of the fan clicks to its own beat as we both try to collect our thoughts.

Here I am in room with my brother whom I haven't seen since I was 5. My twin brother in fact. You would think that I would be nervous or cry but, no, I sat there in silence, just like him. I didn't find a need to fill the silence. For some reason being here, sitting here makes me think of my mom. Cilene Roxanne Ashry was a beautiful woman. She smelled like a sweet flower field and her voice sounded like my favorite song. Everything she saw she saw in another light than anyone else. I think that is why she was such a good photographer. I think that is why she was a better person than I will ever be.

"What was she like?" I look to the long haired boy. "Mom was the person to ever walk this Earth." He took a long breath, I did the same. "Hey Ethan?" I swing my legs towards him and fold them up as I turn to face him. "Yes." "Why hasn't dad come to see me?" There is another long pause. More and more silence. That seems to be a common occurrence these days. "I-I don't know." A small knock is on the door. I perk up, maybe it is my dad. "Can I come in?" A small female voice says, it doesn't sound like Josefina. "Ha! Sophia you can come in." Ethan projects. The sun starts to peak through the window as the sky begins to wake.  "Who is Sop-" I begin to ask, suddenly aware that I probably look like I belong in a mental institution and the door whips open revealing a fresh face.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

hey everyone I am SO sorry I have not updated in weeks. I have been going through stuff and have had such bad writers block it isn't even funny BUT anyways I should be back on track and this chapter ended up coming out exactly how I imagined it.

xoxo, rachel.